Pros and Cons - HB 315

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In legaleeze this is all inclusive of any agent or broker. I read the word therefore as an adjunct to include all parties to whom the inspector may “bribe” for business.

Receiving a commission for recommending a home inspector is also against RESPA, I believe.

Originally Posted By: lkage
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

jbushart wrote:
lkage wrote:

Just cruisin' through...but it sounds to me like "any broker or agent therefor" (the inspected property) would include buyer's brokers and agents. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Larry,

I read it the same way as you did the first time I went through it. When I looked at it closer and parsed the sentence, it came out a little different.

It begins by telling me I cannot provide a reward to the "owner" of the inspectected property making the "owner" the subject of the sentence. Following that is the addition of the "broker or agent therefor" with the word "therefor" referring back to the subject of the sentence. Although the intent is probably otherwise, it seems to literally (very literally) exclude the agent for the buyer.

You know, you may be right on both counts:

1)Therefor probably refers back to the owner. (very literally)
2)The intent is probably otherwise.

I like my original understanding better. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei