QOD for 11/1/04 (Plumbing)

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I looked and looked for the picture I had of the one that did not meet the clearance, but here is the question without it, because I couldn’t find the picture.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

According to whom?

UPC is 3" farther than IRC

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dbush

Since the correct answer for UPC is not there, let’s use IRC.

Dave

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

dbush wrote:
Since the correct answer for UPC is not there, let's use IRC.

Dave

![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Actually the UPC IS there and the IRC is not! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Why are we quoting code? Did we get promotions? icon_wink.gif

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!

www.magnuminspections.com

Although we do not quote code numbers, no matter which way you slice it, code rules our industry, and affects what we report on our inspections.

Quote:
Although we do not quote code numbers, no matter which way you slice it, code rules our industry, and affects what we report on our inspections.

Yes, but as observed above, which code and what area of the country or world are you in at the time?

This is the slippery slope.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

A valid point, as my state doesn’t recognize either. It has it’s own, derived from all the codes nationally.

Originally Posted By: Guest

If my knees don’t hit the wall during testing then it’s OK

Quote:
If my knees don't hit the wall during testing then it's OK

Me too! ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Quote:
Why are we quoting code?

Without the ability to reference (not quote) codes, we would be unable to list many of the defects that we regularly uncover.

Our reports are based on building standards, not on our own preferences. When we see situations such as improper water closet clearance, low ceiling heights, narrow doors, etc., we need a way to justify our recommendations.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Guest

" You’re going to look funny and feel worse when using the toilet. Your knees will be as high as the light switch on the wall and your back will be crammed against the tank. The solutions are as follows :

1) Move the wall out eight inches. (check with the neighbors on the other side of the town house first)

2) Get a water loving plant for the location being discussed and smugly call it your "hydroponics room"

3) sit facing the tank. Accessorize the area with a book light and magazine holder so your friends think it's a design feature.

No codes cited there, and I seldom find the need to cite one.

The dryer discharge is too long and poses a fire hazard.

It's really not that hard to keep codes out of the report.

Chad Fabry wrote:
It's really not that hard to keep codes out of the report.

I have never, other than for new construction inspections, used code references in my report.

The fact remains, when I make a recommendation, it's usually based on some type of building standard (i.e. code) - unless, of course, it's an obvious safety/health hazard.

Recommendations for less obvious "violations" that are not "grandfathered," have code references that support the recommendation if there is ever a question.

For instance, a water heater that is "strapped" with plumbers tape.

In CA, prior to transfer of title, tank type water heaters must be strapped in accordance with UPC 510.5

In my report however, it will simply state; The water heater is improperly strapped. Recommend corrections by a state licensed plumbing contractor.

Building codes are our friend ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Quote:
Without the ability to reference (not quote) codes, we would be unable to list many of the defects that we regularly uncover.

You don't have to do either. Manufacturers specifications and common sense will get you just about all of the way there. If you are banging your elbows on the walls and your ankles are around your neck while trying to use the toilet (#2 or a female), something is probably wrong or you need to visit your local chapter of Weight Watchers!

Now, if we have to explain to someone why we are writing it up, do you say "it violates the building code" or demonstrate why it is wrong?

Although this "profession" is based on building codes, it is not our job to enforce them. Legally, we don't have the authority to do so.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: awatson

Anyone here ever done a ‘#1 test’ or a ‘#2 test’ while doing an inspection?

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

(IRC 306.6 and UBC 210.70A2)

Why on earth should I install a handrail when there are only four risers at my staircase? (IRC 311.5.6 and UBC 1003.3.6)

I'll just make three - 10" risers instead! (IRC 311.5.3.1 and UBC 1003.3.3)

Quote:
Now, if we have to explain to someone why we are writing it up, do you say "it violates the building code" or demonstrate why it is wrong?

Violates? No. Improper based on. . . ? Yes.

Demonstrate? No. Give them the code reference? Yes.

Quote:
Although this "profession" is based on building codes, it is not our job to enforce them. Legally, we don't have the authority to do so.

Quite correct. Does this mean we don't need to have a basic knowledge of codes that are pertinent to our local municipality? I think not.

I think we've drifted a bit ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Be sure and put the toilet seat back up before you leave

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Quote:
Anyone here ever done a '#1 test' or a '#2 test' while doing an inspection?

I try to simulate "average" usage in each toilet. Sometimes "nature" provides the testing material, other times, a wad of toilet paper will doo! ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Jeff,
I agree that HIs should have a basic knowledge of codes, but not use them as the answer. That reminds me of asking your mother why something is wrong..."because I said so".

For the staircase, I don't need a code. Do you consider walking up a flight of stairs in the dark safe? Some can't do that in the daylight! Which brings us to the rail. Most tripping incidents that I have seen are from missing one step.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Eric, The same reasons you gave are the reasons the codes were written in the first place.

I would agree that telling an owner that they need a three-way switch at the top & bottom should be the reason you stated instead of responding “that’s what the code states”.

Codes help remind us about the safety of most things. It’s what drives what we do.

Without the written code I'd have never given though that a 6" spacing in guardrails was not sufficient. But somewhere,some child got injured, and the code was written so the same mistake is less likely to happen again.

--

evandeven wrote:
For the staircase, I don't need a code. Do you consider walking up a flight of stairs in the dark safe? Some can't do that in the daylight!

Are you going to tell your client they are not capable of walking up a staircase in the dark?

How about the local company that installs reverse osmosis systems, ACME Water Co. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

99% of the time, these are improperly installed.

Report note;

Improper installation of the reverse osmosis waste water drain noted beneath the kitchen sink. Recommend corrections by a state-licensed plumbing contractor.

When the sellers agent calls and says, "This was installed by ACME just last month. What do you mean it's wrong?"

IRC 3003.2 and UPC 311.1.2 = No saddle fittings or tapping/drilling of a drain line is permitted.

IRC 2907.2 and UPC 611.2 = Reverse osmosis systems require an air gap at their drain line.

Or do you say;

It's just common sense ma'am. ACME just doesn't know what they're doing.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dvalley

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."