Question about complex roof terminology

Hi all, new student here and I have a question on this “complex” roof design. In the photo, I see a gabled roof, with a hip and a dormer. The bay windows have a section (difficult to see in the photo) that I would also describe as a hip.

Can you all please correct/instruct me please? Thanks!

You left out the question. Are you asking what to label such a roof? Simply combination gable/hip would usually suffice.

It’s just like what are you going to call the exterior material? Vinyls siding/ stone veneer. Sometimes two descriptions are acceptable for one component.

Typically described as Dutch Hip.

1 Like


Dominic, thanks for the info, I’m just getting starting in my education and I’m trying to to get used to identifying all of these terms in the real world!

Thanks Larry!

1 Like