Question about inspecting certain parts of the house

So ive been doing the courses but i have had a thought going around in my head for awhile. Im not exactly sure how to ask this question. I had just done the roof inspection course and at the end was reviewing the drip edge portion of the course and wondered to myself “what if i check for a drip edge and see one properly installed, Under the underlayerment and all that but what if there was some drip edge missing on another edge of the roof?”. So anyways i guess my question would be. How am i supposed to inspect a component like a drip edge that should go all around the house? Cause obviously im not going to be checking every inch of the edge.

There were several missing sections of drip edge observed. All missing drip edge should be replaced to prevent water damage.

Im not sure your understanding my question.

Okay, help me understand.

You inspect the roof drip edge flashing by ladder, drone, walking or binos. If you make a statement like “I’m obviously not going to inspect every inch” you’re already setting your bar pretty low for clients.

Steven, make it routine to scan the fascia and drip edge as you look at other parts of the exterior of the house. A routine will help make it so you are less likely to miss items.

Do your routine exactly the same each time. If you improve your routine, and you will, then add that so you do that new routine exactly the same each time.

Obviously, the routine may vary SLIGHTLY because of roof styles, etc. :smile:

You can see if there is a drip edge from the ground and with binoculars. It is part of your exterior walk around

Not necessarily true. Majority of my inspections are 75+ year old 2+ story homes with full gutter systems. Unless I’m on a ladder 2 story’s up, I ain’t seeing crap!!

1 Like

No roofer installs a drip edge, or underlayment, for that matter, in my neck of the woods.

Things change depending on the area you are working in. NACHI training programs are not gospel. They are very good and helpful, though.
Cheers

Agree… Basic principals only.

Steve, I don’t care what all the ‘chest pounders’ say, I guarantee you that 99.99% of them DO NOT view 100% of drip edges, nor do they even try!
As a professional inspector, one tries to view the best they can visually observe with random sampling areas (I like corners so I can see two directions, and areas of likely shortcuts by a contractor). Since the metal drip edges come in 10 ft lengths, it is probable that straight runs will not have voids (unless length is like 22 ft, so suspect that shortcut I mentioned at the center).
In your report disclaimers, be sure it addresses this scenario as all edges are not inspected unless readily observable from the ground… Similar to checking (all) outlets inside the home.
Hopefully that helps.

1 Like

You’ll know if they used drip edge when you first look up at the eves…verify by lifting a shingle and snapping a picture. You can’t check everywhere nor would anyone be expected to. Having said this remember that drip edge was not really required for shingled roofs until the adaptation of the 2012 IRC. So on new construction where the 2012 code was adapted I would expect to see it…but some big builders are still not doing it. The real concern on a older home is if roof performing as expected and how much longer generally they have until the roof needs to be replaced. Verify any other defects or leakage points or potential leaks you see. On an older home is is hard (but not impossible) to install a drip edge (after the fact) and sometimes cause more damage trying to jam one in there than it’s worth. In SC at least our job is only to ascertain a homes general condition.

Thank you that’s what i thought but i wasn’t sure. Also thank your for answering an overall question i had cause ya there’s other scenarios in which there’s a’lot of one particular thing like outlets where id be there all day if i had to inspect every single thing of the same thing.