Question: How Many Inspections in a Month

Originally Posted By: rdulay
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How many inspections, on average, do you do in any given month? I’m just finalizing the Free Report Hosting for beta this week, and am trying to get a feel for what would be the right number of uploads allowed for the basic (that means free), ad-supported membership.

Thanks,

Roberta Dulay
Yalia Technology Design
www.yalia.com

--
Affordable web solutions for home inspectors, including complete NACHI web sites for only $75 plus hosting. See http://www.HomeInspectionWebSite.com for more information.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Bump.

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

In addition to voting, if you have an opinion on how many report uploads you’d want to be able to do per month at the free level, please chime in here. I was thinking something like 5 or 10 per month, but at the Ohio meeting where I demoed this application, Erby said that was way too low…

Since this is a NACHI sponsored service, I am totally open to suggestions while the site is still in development. Beta starts on Thursday, so any feedback I can get now would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roberta

--
Affordable web solutions for home inspectors, including complete NACHI web sites for only $75 plus hosting. See http://www.HomeInspectionWebSite.com for more information.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

rdulay wrote:
I was thinking something like 5 or 10 per month, but at the Ohio meeting where I demoed this application, Erby said that was way too low...
Thanks,

Roberta

per week

--
"I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused"-Elvis Costello

I guess what I really need to know is, at what point (that is, at how many inspections per week or month) are you breaking even?

What I'm trying to differentiate is between the home inspectors who are just starting out and who could really benefit from a break like free Report Hosting, versus those are making decent money in this industry and who probably wouldn't mind paying a bit more for unlimited report uploads and access to additional features like being notified when their report was accessed by a client.

Rather than set the bar arbitrarily, I'm looking to you guys for guidance in setting this magic number.

Thanks,

Roberta

--

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

5 a week

“I used to be disgusted, Now I try to Be amused”-Elvis Costello

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

one per day

Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Kevin,

Is that 1 per every day (30 a month) or 1 per weekday (20 per month)?
Do you guys get to take weekends off (or an equivalent other two days a week)?

Thanks,

Roberta

--

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Home inspectors take off the weekend? What, are you kidding me?

7 days a week. Whenever we can schedule.

I haven't had a day off in a couple of months.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Ok, maybe not the weekend, but how about taking a Monday or Tuesday off? I usually work weekends too, but try to make up for it another day during the week (when I can)…

Originally Posted By: tallen

The only days I take off are the days that I have NO inspections and then there is Marketing, M&M’s ect.

Like Will said, most HI's don't have the pleasure of taking a day off.

Heck , I just booked one for Labor Day.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Todd, you lucky dog, you!

How come you get to have fun crawling around in attics and crawlspaces and explaining how a GFCI outlet works for the 1.0 x 10 23 (<- exponential notation) time when all I get to do is sit around, barbecueing kosher beef ribs and drinking microbrewery ginger ale?

Some guys have all the luck.

![eusa_boohoo.gif](upload://j5YiA2xAD08B5o0iRQIRihBL6mu.gif)

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

wdecker wrote:
Todd, you lucky dog, you!

How come you get to have fun crawling around in attics and crawlspaces and explaining how a GFCI outlet works for the 1.0 x 10 23 (<- exponential notation) time when all I get to do is sit around, barbecueing kosher beef ribs and drinking microbrewery ginger ale?

Some guys have all the luck.

![eusa_boohoo.gif](upload://j5YiA2xAD08B5o0iRQIRihBL6mu.gif)

What's a crawl space?

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: kwilliams

rdulay wrote:
Kevin,

Is that 1 per every day (30 a month) or 1 per weekday (20 per month)?
Do you guys get to take weekends off (or an equivalent other two days a week)?

Thanks,

Roberta

weekend ? what's that ?

--
Member - MAB

http://www.nachi.org/convention2006.htm

Gee Roberta;

For a person who hosts home inspector web sites, you sure don't seem to know much about our business.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076

Well, it looks like today is an M&M day afternooner canceled. icon_cry.gif

M&M == Marketing and Message board.

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: rspriggs

tallen wrote:
The only days I take off are the days that I have NO inspections and then there is Marketing, M&M's ect.

Like Will said, most HI's don't have the pleasure of taking a day off.

Amen. If we're not out inspecting, we're drumming up awareness so they keep coming in.

I'd say that 20 a month would be a break-even point, Roberta, then you feel that you're making some $ after that. I'm sure others' mileage may vary.

--
Exploring Planet NACHI . . . One house at a time.

Russ Spriggs,
Idaho Chapter Pres.
Coeur d'Alene, ID Home Inspectors
Coeur d'Alene Home Inspectors

Bill,

You're probably right - I'm a geek, not a home inspector. But at least I'm a geek that wants to learn how I can better serve NACHI home inspectors, as a group. That's why I'm asking.

I've been working with NACHI now for almost a year, and have significantly improved my offerings over that time, by asking questions and listening to what folks want.

This thread is specifically to gather information for the free report upload service I'm launching, so I can set it up at the right service levels to appeal to the majority of inspectors.

In addition to the report hosting, we now offer the following free services to NACHI members:
    - Free Search engine optimization & submission
    - FreeDNS forwarding
    - Free help selecting a domain name
    - Free consultation on any web service
    - Free basic web page with any domain name registration
    - Free web site door prize for every free chapter site client

The report hosting application is flawless and when it's launched as a free service to NACHI members, I think it's going to be quite popular. This is why I really want to ensure we're doing it right.

Thanks,

Roberta

--

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Two per day, no weekends, no holidays, nothing after 1:00 in the afternoon! icon_biggrin.gif

Roberta;

No offense meant. I am a geek as well (MS in CS, 1989, 26 years in the IS field, currently a Senior SA, made my own web site as well as many others).

I agree that it is important to know about a business paridigm before you try to code one. A good computer application is nothing more than a model of what happens in the real world. 'You can't program a computer to play chess unless you, yourself, know how to play chess' - Turing.

As to report hosting, I have problems with that concept. In our state, we are required to keep ALL records of an inspection for 5 years. Also, the report is confidential and belongs to the client, with fiduciary responsibility. Why would it be good for me to send this confidential report to a third party?

I use homegauge software. Its output is in HTML format. I open the HTML report in Internet Explorer and wave it as a web archive file. I them e-mail this file to the client, followed up with the hard copy, sent by next day shipping. In this way, my report gets to the client withing 24 hours (the state requires 48 house, max) and I keep the archive file and a printout.

I fail to understand why report hosting is needed? Any counter argument?

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076