QUESTIONS OF THE WEEK January 4 ~ WIN Gift Certificates ~ Now That You’ve Had a Home Inspection Books ~ Custom Videos

You may now choose from the following list:

** $50.00 gift certificate from Inspector Outlet
** Case of books "Now That You’ve had A Home Inspection"
** Seventeen Custom Branded Videos value $50.00 ~ your choice!
https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/video-contest

**** Welcome to another round of Questions of The Week!

Please read the Introduction and requirements, changes may have been made.

A member of the Awards Committee will post questions, at a random day/time.

Eligible members may make one post per question thread to answer the questions, and the eligible member’s winning entry must have all parts of the questions answered completely in that one post. Editing your one answer post allowed will result in disqualification.

Any disregard to the above and divulging the correct answers or giving hints/references will cause a disqualification.

First correct answers (as judged by the Awards Committee or Poster of the Questions) wins.
The WINNER can now choose from any of the prizes listed above!
Request your choice by emailing fastreply@nachi.org and submit your Mailing address for shipping.

Good luck! :cowboy_hat_face:

1. Air intakes should not be placed within ____ of any potential sources of air contaminants

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) The top part of a pool wall is called the ______, which supports the coping and edge around the pool.
a) bond beam
b) I-beam
c) parapet
d) cope stock
e) beam me up Scotty

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Sixty percent of all homes built on _______ suffer from _______

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) _______ is one of the leading causes of foundation failure

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
5) Everything OK here?? … ?? …
water heater4

Good one I think is hard!
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
Temptations sing

1 Like

Thanks, Marc! Great enjoyment! :smile:

1 Like

Oh hell Yeah! 2020! New Year new winning count!

1. Air intakes should not be placed within 10feet of any potential sources of air contaminants

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
2) The top part of a pool wall is called the ______, which supports the coping and edge around the pool.
d) cope stock

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Sixty percent of all homes built on expansive soils suffer from foundation distress.

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) Erosion is one of the leading causes of foundation failure

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
Discharge pipe for the TPR valve should be straight down and extend 6” above the ground.

Good one I think is hard!
WHO sang this on WHAT song?
Temptations sing
:exploding_head:

1. 10 feet
  2. bond beam
  3. Sixty percent of all homes built on expansive soils suffer from minor damage
  4. improper drainage
  5. no, should be as straight as possible, should be installed as to drain by gravity, should not terminate more than 6 inches above the floor and should not be trapped since possible contaminated water could backflow into potable water
  1. within 10 feet
  2. A-Bond beam
  3. expansive soil…foundation movement
  4. Improper drainage
  5. TPR valve extension pipe appears to be less than ¾ inch piping but that is speculative from just a photo. The extension piping however does not self drain by gravity. (Goes up)
1 Like

Good questions, Marc!
Thank you!

1 Like
  1. 10 feet
  2. bond beam
  3. 60% of all homes built on expansive soils suffer from foundation movement.
  4. improper drainage
  5. no, should be as straight as possible, should be installed as to drain by gravity, should not terminate more than 6 inches above the floor and should not be trapped since possible contaminated water could backflow into potable water

Good questions Marc! Thanks for your time!

1 Like

Good questions Marc.
Thanks

did I win Yet ???

HA!
Please submit answers :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Close Proximity
Bond Beam
Expansive Soil / Foundation Distress
Improper Drainage
Reduced in size, should be as straight as possible and drain by gravity

1= 25 ft
2= A
3= Expansive soils- foundation distress
4= Soft, low density soils and/or improperly compacted soil
5- Pressure relief valve drain pipe does not flow by gravity

1. within 25 Feet
  2. A, Bond beam
  3. Expansive soil, foundation distress
    4.Improper drainage
  4. Pipe is reduced after TPR valve, Elbows and direction will not allow drainage by gravity
    extra, Super Freak by Rick James
1 Like

Congratulations to Joseph DePiero for winning this week’s questions!

Good eye noticing the TPV is reduced in size. Brandon & William got that also.

Question #1 was looking for air intakes, like an AC condenser unit. Looks like most were thinking of air exhausts, like a dryer vent, for their answer.

1 Like

Way to go, Joe! Good work! :smile:

1. Air intakes should not be placed within ____ of any potential sources of air contaminants
    25 feet
    https://www.epa.gov/iaq-schools/heating-ventilation-and-air-conditioning-systems-part-indoor-air-quality-design-tools

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
a) bond beam
b) I-beam
c) parapet
d) cope stock
e) beam me up Scotty
bond beam

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
3) Sixty percent of all homes built on _______ suffer from _______
expansive soils foundation distress
https://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/foundation_repair/

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
4) _______ is one of the leading causes of foundation failure
Improper Drainage
https://www.ramjack.com/houston/about-ram-jack/blog/2016/june/what-causes-foundation-problems-/

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
TPV drain line goes up
TPV drain line reduced in size

~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~
JOE! How’d ya know this tune?
Temptations Sing
Artist Rick James
Released 1981
71,489,746 views!

Rick had a awesome stage show was doing AOK & worth around $35 million, but his weekly $7000 cocaine habit finally got the better of him. Killed him too.

James and his future wife Tanya Hijazi were accused of holding 24-year-old Frances Alley hostage for up to six days, tying her up, forcing her to perform sexual acts, and burning her legs and abdomen with the hot end of a crack cocaine pipe during a week-long cocaine binge.
James faced a maximum sentence of life in prison if convicted on all charges, which included assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated mayhem, torture, forcible oral copulation, false imprisonment and kidnapping.

In the 80’s, We had a couple of guys on our engineering team that would sing that damn song all the time. I can’t remember their names buy I remember that damn song!! :upside_down_face:

25 feet
A bond beam
Expansive soil …foundation stress
Soft or improperly soil compaction
TPR valve drain pipe does not flow by gravity, should be flowing down not upward

no idea on song…