Racked dimensional shingles?

If I do that, it says “Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?” and won’t allow me to post.

1 Like

I don’t have progressives, I just need to back away from the screen about 4’ and I see fine. :rofl:

1 Like

Hey, I passed my DL eye exam 2-3 weeks ago. I just can’t see up close and it is hard to back away from my Yukon dash that far, as Chuck predicted. :joy: :laughing:

How many fingers am I holding up? (Don’t cheat by zooming in :smiley: )

Five or was that five lights?

Yes…

Definitely on that one

This is the electrical section.

3 Likes

From my point of view, in my office, I see no issues. As well, the tape measurement is incorrect. The shingle below does not lineup >< 2 inches away or at least from my point of view, in my office.

I count fasteners and see how they align when penetrating roof deck sheathing. You can pick out shingle abutt fasteners by how closely they are aligned to one another.

Just my point of view, from/in my office.

My thoughts exactly…Sure looking like this was an amateur install. Eeek!..hopefully no leaks.

I think someone changed it to a roofing section. LOL

You can report that it appears like an amateur installation because of the raking, etc., etc.,…and cover yourself by referring it to a qualified roofing contractor for his assessment against leaks. :smile:

Here is some of the verbiage that I used to use.

Observed asphalt composition shingles installed with joints aligned vertically at every other course . This installation method is called “racking”. Racking is considered an improper installation method by most manufacturers. It is acceptable but not preferred for some manufacturers. We recommend verifying with the shingle manufacturer that this installation method is acceptable for the brand and model (unknown to the inspector) of shingle installed .

Observed shingles installed using “racking” method. Racking is an inferior installation method and is inconsistent with the manufacturer’s installation standards. Owens Corning does not recommend racking as an installation method. Video explaining problems with racking installation method.

2 Likes

This link is certainteed saying that 3.5 + inches stagger is okay with their popular “Landmark” shingles. - surprised me! I don’t think it’s cool - especially when the crack is right over a nail - but if it’s okay with Certainteed., I’m not reporting differently. Recently tried to get a response from other manufacturers and found none who instruct installation less than 5.5 inches. If your state statues define standards of contractor practice as IRC which says per manufacturer’s instructions - then less than 3.5 inches, I think, is always not code and will certainly leak over time when on low pitch roofs. I have never read manufacturers instructions for laminate shingles which allow “racked” stagger - This lines up the laminates in rows which looks bad and might somehow over 20 years or so channel runoff and erode trenches. I think this contractor owes for a new roof but I wouldn’t report that either.
I’ve read some master inspectors reporting 4 inches stagger. I can’t find any such minimums on instructions. Anybody got any? I don’t know if I should report every time I see less than 5.5 inches (most roofs) and say that it might be improper. If I don’t I might somehow be liable. ? If I report too strongly that its wrong I might be liable for blowing the sale.
I think I see shingle overlap in the first photo center area. That would be another violation. Even jamming them too close together when it’s a cold weather installation can cause end lifting when they get warm and expand. I’ve seen really bad cases of that.

Yea I apologized for posting it in here. I was on the inspection on my phone.

Just to make sure were looking at the same thing here. Shouldnt dimensional shingles have atleast a continuous 4" offset? Every other row is lining up almost as if they were 3 tab

On the Landmark series, you start on the edge with a full coarse
second course= 32-3/4"
third course = 27-3/4"
fourth course =11"
fifth course = 6"

The fourth and fifth courses are the cut-offs from the 2nd and 3rd courses
Then it starts all over again, so initial overlap is 5"

Hope that helps a little.

1 Like