Radon Certification

I am newly licensed this year in Maryland as a Home Inspector and so far every RE agent I talk to says they only want a home inspector that can do the standard inspection as well as radon----so is taking the NACHI course for Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course enough to be legally allowed to provide the service ? or do I have to go do the NRPP program ?..I’m confused in what I’ve read …the InterNACHI on-line training course says…“Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to provide radon testing services as an InterNACHI Certified Radon Tester”…Is this** totally true** or is there more I am missing ? Can you more experienced guys give me guidance on this please…
Thank you all

It doesn’t appear that Maryland requires a state license or certification. However, I would recommend contacting your local EPA office for verification.

Thank you Bruce --that is what I’m reading too, but where I’ve gotten myself confused is after doing the NACHI course does one have to take/pass the national NRPP exam and be listed in their database as a qualified testing provider even though MD does not issue a certification…that’s where I’m a bit confused…

Radon is confusing, and each state has their own rules. To be certified by AARST-NRPP you have to take a class and pass a test. InterNACHI’s Advanced Radon class is listed on the AARST-NRPP list as an approved class (others range from a few hundred up to about a thousand so it’s a good deal). If you want the AARST-NRPP certification you still have to take their test after you finish the class. Now…based on your state you may need to take the class, or you may need to go all the way and pass the test…or you may have to do absolutely nothing at all. I recommend taking the class, it’s way more than you need to know about testing radon, but better to know more than not enough.

Thank you Donald for assisting me…but where I’m still stuck is…Even though Maryland does not certify radon testers, is it legal to claim I am a** “certified”** radon tester after passing just the NACHI course ? or does one have to take the NRPP exam and join their data base in order to claim** “certified”** status…? That’s where I’m having trouble getting an answer…

If Maryland is like Minnesota (Voluntary Certification), there is NO certification REQUIRED, but, if you want to be listed on the State website as being Certified, you must take the NRPP exam to be State Certified. IF you do not go this route, and you want to use the term Certified in your marketing… you MUST… (check with local laws and your attorney) specify **InterNachi Certified. **

Hope that helps.

Suggestion… reach out to Member Jim Keilson. He is based in Maryland and is very fluent in Radon. He is a great guy and I’m sure he will help with your questions.

Maryland Radon Testing-Professional Radon Gas Testing

I didn’t get that your question was about claiming a title. Jeffery has the best answer, specify InterNACHI Certified, there are various certifying bodies in all professions, just specify who yours is from. Your state doesn’t require a specific one, so any will do.