Radon testing. I have some questions

Damn! People in your area are willing to pay up to 275 for radon?!?! Good for you!
Are your standalone radon tests for other inspectors, realtors, etc? If you don’t mind, how much do you earn per year in just radon in your area?

Look at Radon Zone maps and you’ll see why.

Looks like Utah has higher than average radon levels but definitely not the highest.

And would you mind a photocopy of your W-2 for my IRS audit.

5 Likes

We do not do that many stand alone radon test and that is fine with us. 99% are with a home inspection. We do not subcontract our work to others, all of our testing is for our company.

I see thanks.

Also Scott, what’s your favorite CRM that can deliver a same day radon report?

I charge $125 with an inspection $200 stand alone
90% of clients want a Radon test I am in NewJersey
I use charcoal canisters they are very easy to use.

Thanks. Doesn’t it cost a lot of money to do it with canisters? Especially when you do a lot of radon tests.

Also, when you do standalone tests, is that just to other inspectors?

All of the CRM’s will provide a report after you pick up the test. The test run for 48 hours. We use Sun Nuclear 1028xp CRMs.

2 Likes

Thanks Scott. How does the report get delivered? Through an app or something?

PDF and email

Ok. Thanks.

Also, do you really have to use 2 charcoal canisters for on radon test? Or is it just a preference?

Jacob

I use CRMs because the re transaction usually is time sensitive and i dont have faith in the mail
Buy 2 to start. Once you say you do testing you’ll be expected to deliver. No time to wait on your single instrument to be freed up
Check pricing in your area
That map doesnt indicate radon levels. It indicates the liklihood of elevated (over 4.0) levels.
Get some training. Do the NACHI training but thats not enough. Get certified by the NRPP.
Your state has a radon program. Find it and figure out what the requirements are for your area.
Dont do this halfassed. If your going to charge 1-200.00 for something you owe it to your customers to be properly trained, have good calibrated equipment and correct information about radon testing and mitigation in your area.

Thank you very much Mike. My plan is to start off offering only ancillary services to realtors and home inspectors. I won’t market myself as a home inspector doing that because other inspectors might think I’m going to take their clients. I will start off with 2 radon monitors charging 200 or 250 per test. Later, if I feel it’s necessary for extra business, I’ll also add sewer scopes. My goal, ideally, is to get 2k gross per week eventually. So 8 or 10 radon tests. At that point I’d probably need 4 or 5 monitors. Sorry for the rambling lol.

Do you ever worry that someone might unplug the monitor?

Almost all monitors have battery back-up. The new ones use only battery power. I highly recommend getting a battery operated CRM. Dragging extension cords around is a PIA.

Awesome thanks Ryan! The only holdback I have with radon is, like you mentioned earlier, it is very easy for home inspectors to offer it themselves. Also, I don’t know why they would give up the easy money and let me be their guy. That’s why I agree that doing sewer scoping might be the best idea, at least to start. I just wouldn’t be moving toilets or cutting open cleanouts due to liability and the fact that a plumber should do it.

You can do both! In my opinion, the more solutions you offer under one roof, the more likely your chances for success. Radon is easier to get started with probably, but sewer scope will likely make you more money.

1 Like