Radon testing. I have some questions

True. I could probably package both at 400 dollars. I would show up and see if I can access the cleanout before taking payment. After that but before the radon test, is when I’d charge them. If separate, I think 250 for each one sounds good. Especially factoring in the pickup trip for radon monitors.

As a home inspector, I personally don’t like having to go to the property twice to pick up a test. I sub out all my Radon Tests and sewer scopes.

1 Like

This is unlikely to happen. Home inspectors who live in regions with high radon levels almost always offer this service.

Thanks Kevin! How much are they charging in your area? Do you take a percentage for yourself?

Yeah it seems like a very easy and relatively low cost service to do. Sewer scopes seem like the best bang for the buck.

I charge 275 for scopes and 165 for Radon tests, and yes I of course get my cut for setting everything up and delivering reports, not to mention the added liability involved, which is also an added cost for E&O.

But Like I told you in an earlier post, different regions will charge different prices and so it’s best to check with inspectors, Radon testers, and Plumbers in your region as to what their rates are, this way you won’t be pricing yourself out of your market or undervaluating your services.

Thanks Kevin.

Also, if I start a business just offering ancillary services, will I need both general liability and errors and omissions insurance?

You should check with your state to see what, if any insurance requirements they have.

As a general rule, IMO it’s wise for one to carry insurance in the event one were to get sued.

ESPECIALLY since he has ZERO experience in any of this!!

1 Like

Well yea, there’s that too.

3 Likes

Yes good point. You never know who wants to sue you for whatever reason.

Thank you Kevin.

If you are not NRPP certified, you are not qualified to do Radon testing! If you want to do Radon testing, get certified, then get a good CRM, Radon eye pro is a good unit. Just taking and passing InterNachi is not good enough.

Yes I am a member of NRPP & DEP licensed, so be smart & get the education you need before you start charging clients.

Thank you very much Lewis. I will be sure to get NRPP certified. Do they have their own training for the test or will internachi radon training give me enough knowledge to pass the test?

Also, what do you charge for radon in your area?

In my opinion, no. There were questions on the test that were not addressed in the NACHI training. The test seemed designed to cause people to have to retake it multiple times. I recommend reading all of the NRPP’s brochures and any provided by your state as well. Some of the questions on my version of the test were addressed in those brochures but I could not find the info anywhere else.

2 Likes

Thanks Ryan. Do you think it’s still a good idea to take the internachi radon and advanced radon courses regardless?

1 Like

Yes. And take notes. The test is fairly difficult in my opinion. You will need to know about all of the different measurement methods and how they work. Also, download and read through any brochures or other info on the site below. It’s for my state but most of the info in generic to all states.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/environment/air/radon/radontestresults.html

1 Like

Thanks Ryan.

1 Like