Re: The Recommendation of AFCI's

Originally Posted By: loconnor
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Question to home inspectors…

Would you recommend the installation of AFCI's in your report to your clients?

If not...why not?

If yes...Why?

--
Larry
Western Michigan NACHI Chapter
http://www.w-michigan-nachi.org

"We confide in our strength
without boasting of it.
We respect that of others
without fearing it"
Thomas Jefferson

Originally Posted By: dvalley

In the near future...Maybe.

Why...I haven't heard much about enforcing this installation.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: psmothers

I have it in my boiler plate but to not use it.

Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

I note that beginning in 2002 they were required, and recommend installing them as a safety upgrade.

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

I was at Home Depot the other day and was in the electrical section. I was looking at AFCI’s and one of the boxes said the NEC now requires these to be used in homes. I didn’t know that was the case.

I was under the impression that AFCI's were still a grey area as to whether or not they are all that needed/good to have. Anyone know of NEC requiring these, or is it just a sales pitch from that particular manufacturer?

--
Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.
--Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

I think they are required for bedrooms built after 2002

Originally Posted By: M. Hancock

They are required per the 1999 NEC, Article 210-12. “All branch circuits that supply 125 volt, single phase, 15 and 20 ampere receptacle outlets installed in dwelling unit bedrooms shall be protected by an arc fault circuit interrupter(s). This requirement shall become effective January 1, 2002.” This is why there aren’t any AFCI receptacles manufactured, as the entire circuit must be protected.

The 2002 NEC, article 210.12 changed, the word receptacle was removed and now states “…15 and 20 ampere outlets installed …”, which under the '02 code requires that not only receptacles be AFCI protected but also lights and possibly smoke detectors as they are an outlet. Check with your local jurisdiction to see if they have amended the smoke detectors out of this requirement, as the local jurisdiction where I work will do so when we adopt the 2002 NEC.

The 2005 NEC is essentially the same as the 2002, with some exceptions for protecting the entire branch circuit.

NOTE: This requirement is only for installations performed after January 1, 2002. Not a retrofit requirement.

Originally Posted By: bkelly2

As I said earlier, I note that beginning in 2002 they were required, and recommend installing them as a safety upgrade.

Originally Posted By: DAVID LAMONS

: icon_twisted.gif

we are also requiring them on rewiring of an older house

Originally Posted By: Kenneth Hartman

I agree that you should check with your local jurisdiction. I work for a modular plant and some places require arc fault protection on smoke detectors and some require smoke detectors not to be arc fault protected.