Realtor Associations

Originally Posted By: bdoles
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m curious about what inspectors here are members/affiliates of their local Realtors Association?

If so what benefits you the most, if any.

Thanks in advance...

--
Brian K Doles
Inspection Connection Home Inspections
Northeast, TN

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Well, the only benifit that I have found in the small town of Rockport is that if your not a member, then the agents won’t referr you.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: jpope

I am an affiliate member of SRAR (Southland Regional Association of Realtors). Attending the weekly meeting for about two months now has yielded one inspection. icon_wink.gif

On the "up" side, I have been introduced to about 100 local Realtors. I've been building relationships which I feel will eventually pay off.

Another plus is that I've met my local competition. I was given a referral for an inspection directly from another inspector.

So all in all, it seems to be working. The "long term" benefits (hopefully ) will pay off.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Normally a home inspector can’t get access to lock box’s unless he joins a local board of REALTORs.

Lock box access is a must.

Nick

Originally Posted By: jpope

Inspectors having access to lock boxes? Am I missing something?

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dbush

Here in Joplin, you have to be a full, not affiliate, member to get access to a lock box. I have been doing just fine with either requiring the agent to meet me there and let me in, or going by the selling agent’s office and getting a key, that reminds me, I gotta do that now.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: mmazzitello

Here in western Wisconsin, it is a plus to be member of the realtors association, as you can attend their meetings, learn what they have concerns over etc.

Additionally, you can get their supra key so that listing agents don't have to show up and let you in....you are authorized to open the locked door with the key...

...that said...it all comes at a cost, and for a newbie, it makes it a bit more difficult to add that to the expenses as well as the other organization affiliations.....

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Michael,

I just wanted to clarify the statement that you made in your post here. Having the lock box key (or code) does not automatically grant you permission to enter the property of others. You must get permission from the owner to enter their property and you typically request that permission through the listing agent. If you fail to do that, here is PA you are trespassing. You mileage may vary according to your state laws and local association rules. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Joe:

I disagree technically. Although it sure is nice and polite to tell the seller you are coming and when... and of course always knock... I believe in the sales agreement the seller has already given permission for the inspection to take place. You cannot tresspass on a property you have permission to enter and are the owner in-equity on (If the buyer has permission he can give it to you, the seller can't give it to you...he/she has already given it to the buyer).

Furthermore, unlike other transactions (like buying a candy bar) where the buyer doesn't own the item until the seller gets paid...a real estate transaction mostly occurs when a contract is executed (both parties agree). A buyer is an owner in-equity the minute the agreement is fully executed. The seller is merely a custodian, responsible for taking care of the buyer's property until closing. The closing is merely a formality where the seller (usually) gives up possession.

You should, as a matter of courtesy, let the seller/listing agent know when your coming though as most sellers think they own their home up until closing...even though they can't borrow on it, burn it, remodel it, or sell it during that time period.

Nick

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Becoming a member of the Realtor association and attending the local meetings sound great. I have not experienced this move yet, but I would imagine it would be a fantastic tool for meeting your local realtors and having them get to know you. I could really use more feedback as to whether or not this association membership really helps.

As for the lock box access... Here in Massachusetts, the listing agent will always attend the home inspection. They will gain access to the home for the inspection. There are times where these busy agents arrive later than anticipated. But that's ok, the exterior inspection can be written up. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jburkeson

wcampbell wrote:
Well, the only benifit that I have found in the small town of Rockport is that if your not a member, then the agents won't referr you.

Hi William,

Based on your comment, I went ahead an joined as an affiliate GTAR (Greater Tampa Association of Realtors) 5000 members strong, I am hoping for three inspections a week from this relationship. I'll let you know how it goes.

Joe.

--
Joseph Burkeson, RPI (Hooperette)

?Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.?
~ Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Originally Posted By: mpatton

David,

I am an affiliate member of both the Northern KY & Cincinnati board of realtors (both have the SUPRA Key). The Northern KY has proven more beneficial due to my active participation on a committee, the Cincinnati is primarily paying off due only to the SUPRA Key.

The key pays off due to the access, (I do get the sellers permission either directly (FSBO) or realtor) this is expected in this area.

Sounds like each area is unique due to the way business is performed.

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

I just learned of a great advantage of being a member of the realtors association. We have a Yahoo Groups Re-mail set up and I just sent the “is your home inspector blind?” page to ALL of the members here in Rockport. I will keep you posted on what the return is. nachi_nachi.gif

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Let me know your results…!! I’m STILL undecided on joining in my area. I’ve realized emails are a waste of time in my area. Most realtors here don’t even bother with their email.

I'm starting to believe that to improve my business I need to move to a larger city.

--
Brian K Doles
Northeast, TN

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

icon_question.gif

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

We are members of both our local board of Realtors, and the Womens Council of Realtors. Since most of my business is in a very suburban (almost rural) area, the Realtors are quite a clique. We got almost no business until they started seeing our faces at the meetings and picnics. The president to the local chapter of the Womens Council of Realtors approached my wife while she was out marketing. We are the only home inspection company in our local chapter, which has ore 400 members. We find that this group is very loyal to members, and always hands out affiliate member cards before non member cards. I find membership in both groups to be relatively inexpensive advertising, and face time, if nothing else. Besides, we went to a Realtor picnic for the local board yesterday, and naturally, they had lots of free food and BEER icon_biggrin.gif

Blaine

Did you say free BEER…?? Consider me joined…!!

![eusa_dance.gif](upload://s9dv24YwSSRLNpgOOSxL1BkwUQ9.gif)

--
Brian K Doles
Northeast, TN

Originally Posted By: dvalley

COUNT ME IN

David Valley

MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."