Recommended Radon Testers

I am completing the InterNachi Radon course and was curious which Radon Testers would be recommended.

1 Like

How much (known) demand does your company have for testing? The mistake most inspectors make is buying expensive equipment before they even have a clue as to their actual needs.
If you have been in business for a year or more, and you are frequently being asked for the service, go for it.
If not, and you just want a taste of the Radon testing action, begin with Charcoal Canister testers. Very low initial cost, and it won’t break your bank when they get damaged or stolen!

1 Like

I agree with @jjonas.

I read a lot of people using the SunRadon and I use a 1030 model. Most seem to use the 1027 and 1028. But AirThings seems to be gaining popularity. If you use any lease option, make sure you find out how the reports are generated. Some vendors provide the reports, which means you are limited to business day/hours for getting the results where as SunRadon I generate the report myself.

I went with the AirThings Correntium Home Digital. I bought 2 for $150 each and use them both side by side in my testing. My reports are self generated and about 4 pages long. Mainly pictures. Set up location pic, date and location stamped. Initial calculation pic. Return location pic, and reading pics. Then I have a summary on the readings with information linking the EPA, articles about long term testing vs. short term etc… and of course disclaimers.
I do not make any recommendations regarding mediation. I only do the test and the findings.
As far as extra income, I’ve paid off my equipment investment and it is an added service that can be offered, but so far, that’s about it.

Good reminder… to the best of my knowledge, these devices are NOT approved for use in most all states! Make sure whatever device you intend to use, check with your state first to be sure that you will be legal to use them in your state!!

2 Likes

Copied from their website

Corentium Pro samples indoor air through a passive diffusion chamber, using alpha spectrometry to precisely calculate the radon level. Radon is detected using silicon photodiodes to both count and measure the energy of alpha particles resulting from the decay chain of radon gas. The instrument is calibrated to reference instruments in accredited laboratories and is AARST-NRPP certified.

That refers to the Correntium Pro NOT the one mentioned above… the Correntium Home!!

2 Likes

Ahhh gotcha! I just leased a pro and my heart skipped when you said that they weren’t certified