Red Clay Tile Foundations

Originally Posted By: dmacy
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/5/56005_Cleveland_Heights_017_Small.jpg ]

Thanks

Dave

Originally Posted By: Mark Anderson

David,

moisture intrusion onto bsmt floor is due to problem w/bsmt wall imo. and the problem(s) will either be

a) vertical,step, horizontal crack(s) on the outside of that wall which allows moisture/water into the cells of block and onto the floor on the inside along the cold joint

b) parging on the outside of wall that was done when built is becoming loose/deteriorating & allowing moisture/water into the cells of the block `n onto the floor along the cold joint

c) a direct opening(s) outside 'above' ground level-above the top of bsmt wall incl`g open mortar joints in brick,loose-cracked-porous bricks, replacement/caulking needs around bsmt windows, where any service-line enters the home and on certain wind blown longer rains these kinds of 'above grade' openings can allow moisture/water to enter and go into the cells of the block & onto the floor along the cold joint

d) a combination of any of the above

just because a crack is not visible on the inside doesn not mean there isn`t a crack on the outside of wall, this happens all the time w/block walls.

--
The Real reasons basements leak

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

I’ve never seen red clay used as a basement floor out here, but it does get me thinking of “teracota” which in itself is somewhat pourous, thats why it’s good for flower pots. it hold moisture, but doesn’t realy let it “threw”. same with orange clay bricks, good for sauna’s and fire pits, but not so good as a moisture proofer. just my thoughts. icon_cool.gif