Roll Roofing

Originally Posted By: dvalley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Can I get some opinions on Roll Roofing that is installed upside down.

Looks like a real good installation but was installed with the granular on the underside.

Would the life expectancy still be twelve to fifteen years?![](upload://aknpuDfhccrZKRyjQTQQ4l0sais.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jwortham

I don’t see how.

The granular coating is protecting the underlying asphalt from UV.

If it's upside down, no protection, no 12-15 years.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Did they install it upsidedown to give it better traction? icon_biggrin.gif

All I know is granuals protect the asphalt from washing out from rain, snow, ice, sun, etc. If the granuals aren’t there I’d expect there to be a considerable amount of time taken off the roofing materials expected life. Can’t give it an exact measurement as I’ve never seen it done before!

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: roconnor

dvalley wrote:
Roll Roofing that is installed upside down.

Your kidding, right ... my head is hurting from scratching ... ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Jeff was right on the money with the reduced expected life without UV protection ... sunlight wreaks havoc on unprotected asphalt roofing. IMHO it will most likely at least likely need a protective reflective coating added ... which is then a maintence item.

Any roofers out there who might be able to shed some "light" on how that could happen???????

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Any pictures?

Originally Posted By: rrushing

David,

The IRC does not specificially address the installation of shingles or rolled roofing "up or down". However, the IRC does refer to the installation to be done in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions. All manufacturers instructions that I have seen identify the side to be installed facing the exposed elements.

From the IRC;

R903.1 General
Roof decks shall be covered with approved roof coverings secured to the building or structure in accordance with the provisions of this chapter. Roof assemblies shall be designed and installed in accordance with this code and THE APPROVED MANUFACTURER'S installation instructions such that the roof assembly shall serve to protect the building or structure.

Now, if the roof covering is installed up-side-down, seems to me this would invaladate the manufacturers warranty, thus be uninsurable.

Just wait til the first bad storm comes through and causes damage to the area and the insurance adjuster has to make a determination of the claim. I can see it now. CLAIM DENIED!! Roof installation was not per manufacturers recommendations-- primary cause of damage.

Ouch. You might be getting a call on that one.

Rich

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Nope…No pictures, Blaine. I do not include pics in my reports.

I had already told my clients that the roof was improperly installed. I just wasn't sure on the life expectancy. Out of 850 inspections, this is a first for me.
I was really baffled when I seen this installation. From a distance, it appeared to be tarred bitumen roofing until I got up close and noticed all the seams at three feet apart.

Thanks for your feedback guys.![](upload://aWTRUraNtQ2T2bkVBw0PHLo76ZQ.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: dkeough

Hey Dave

Are you sure that the granuales were on the bottom.
What you may have been looking at is smooth surfaced modified bitumen.
These come without granuales. They can aluminum coat it after.
It is the same modified without granuales.

Hope this helped.
Dave Keough

Originally Posted By: keith baker

if it is a modified roofing installation you should be able to tell that the seams were torched together,as in a torch down application.

metal roofing contractor specializing in metal roofing fabricating and installing. located in central pa area, re-roofing commercial projects in pa. state.site formed seamless panels available. email: keithbaker1@earthlink.net or call:(814)224~4268