Roof framing questions?

I don’t have a pic

What is the name for a partial rafter system then knee wall supported sleepers the rest of the way to the ridge?

I thought I had the photo and the name but alas neither is locatable.

Thanks in advance.

From your description I am thinking purlins and purlin bracing.

Something like the photo below?



If I understand you right the only term I could find for these (from previous encounters) are “Extended Rafters”. They use the same technique in Cape Cods, and others, with high roofs and second stories.

I ran into one home that the previous owner had added a second floor. The knee walls for second floor rooms were used to rest the original rafters on. The rafters for the new second floor rooms were then secured to the original rafter, resting on the new knee wall, and run to the new ridge board. The strange part was the builder did not get the angle matched from new to old rafters. He then put a double layer of sheithing on the old part of roof to keep the eve to ridge angle almost constant with a single layer of sheathing on the new section of roof.

The other case I ran into was a warranty inspection on a one year old, two story home with A LOOONG eve to ridge span. This house was in not very good shape after only one year. They used 2 X 12’s from the eve to the second floor knee walls. Then 2 X 12’s from the knee wall to the ridge. These rafters were not even bolted together. In addition many were spaced 12"+ apart at the knee wall and none were using hangers (all just toe nailed to top plate, knee wall and ridge). Also the framing was so whacked that they were running at slight angles from knee wall to ridge. Needless to say the roof, as viewed from the ground, was noticeably wavy and had major depressions in it.


Close but no cigar.

That photo is standard hip framing. Looks like nice work BTW

What I am talking about is not commonly seen. It’s done and ok to do just not commom.

I’ll try again now that we have a photo to work from, good plan!

Take the lower half of your picture remove purlin & bracing.

Install a knee wall at the same location.

Now saw through and turn the top half of all those rafters flat on the upper half and add lath on top of the now flat rafters to shim so the decking does not deviate from the original rake angle.

Now is it clear as mud?:mrgreen:

Can you explain the roof type that you might be talking about, that would tell me how they get framed and more likely be able to explain your situation.


**Gable **
A very triangular roof, the gable allows rain and snow to run off easily.

**Cross Gable **
This is like the gable roof, but has two parts that cross.

**Flat **
A flat roof is exactly that - flat. It is easy to build and uses few materials.

**Mansard **
A French gable roof. The difference is that the mansard has a flat area at the top instead of being perfectly triangular. These are common in French Chateau houses and Second Empire style houses.

**Hipped **
A low-pitched roof that allows rain and snow to run off easily, the hipped roof also allows for large eaves on a building.

**:)Cross Hipped **Similar to a hipped roof, but this roof has two parts that cross .

**Pyramidal **
A hipped roof that forms a pyramid shape.

**Shed **Similar to a gable roof, as it allows rain and snow to run off easily. This is one of the easiest roofs to build.

**Saltbox **Similar to a gable roof, but the two sides of it are not symmetrical.

**Gambrel **This roof looks more bell-like than triangular when viewed from the side. It is like a flattened gable roof. Many farms have gambrel roofs.

Marcel :slight_smile:


nice graphics
who’s art work?

It has been seen on hip or gable

here’s someone’s art work of what i’m trying to describe:roll:

Barry, I’ve seen lots of roofs framed that way except for the framing member that extends from the knee wall to the ridge.
“Sleeper” is the term I dont understand. I’ve always heard that term used to describe furring strips either single-dimensioned or tapered, usually used to give a deck or flat roof some pitch (sleepers are then sheathed).

If it’s carrying the roof load from the knee wall to the ridge, it doesn’t matter what you call it as long as it’s strong enough to support the roof without excessive deflection. I’ve always seen a rafter used that laps alongside the lower rafter and is nailed to it, and which butts the ridge at the peak of the roof. Usually there’s a seat cut so that the upper rafter has good bearing on the knee wall.


“Sleeper” is the term I dont understand. I’ve always heard that term used to describe furring strips either single-dimensioned or tapered, usually used to give a deck or flat roof some pitch (sleepers are then sheathed).


Artistic license of the language.

Enter the head of badair, don’t be scared.

Sleeper is a floor frame member lying on it’s side or asleep hence sleep-er, correct?

Visually and physically raise from floor framing to the roof framing and now what would you call it? besides F-ed up