Roof Maxx

I would like to see InterNachi do a test to see if Roof Maxx is worth the investment.

Would this answer your query?:

From: ROOF MAXX Shingle Sealer Treatment FAQs | Roof Revivers

Q: How much does Roof Maxx treatment cost on average?
A: The average size home—with shingles that aren’t in need of repairs—can be treated for $1495.

Q: When should I consider sealing my shingles?
A: There are a few factors as to when you should seal your shingles:

Age of shingles: A good rule of thumb is 10 years. Starting treatment early can result in doubling your shingles service life while greatly reducing problems during that time.
Loss of protective costing: The protective coating or “granules” are critical for reflecting the sun’s harmful UV rays that cause shingles to become brittle, crack and leak. Once you start seeing granules in your gutters it’s time to seal. Roof Maxx treatment enhances granule adhesion helping prolong shingle life.
Shingle staining and streaking (algae growth): Heavy shingle staining is caused by manufacturers’ overuse of inexpensive crushed limestone fillers. Algae, common on northern facing roof slopes, retains moisture for long periods of time. During winter months this moisture expands, breaking granules loose. Roof Maxx has natural fungicides that resist algae growth.

Q: What is the warranty for Roof Maxx treatment?
A: Roof Maxx treatments come with a 5 year pro-rated warranty. Should you need to replace your roof during the warranty period, you will be refunded the unused portion. The warranty is fully transferable—a great selling tool if you’re considering selling your home in the future. For homes on the market—post treatment—we offer a 5 year Roof Certification, giving buyers peace of mind at no additional charge.

Shawn and Larry,

Below are two video links;
The first is a video with Jerry Linkhorn, Ohio’s largest home inspector and a certified InterNACHI inspector giving his personal experience on his home as well as with his clients.

In this second video we were challenged by the Worldwide Inspectors Network, a Facebook group of over 2000 inspectors. They wanted us to treat a roof that was completely shot so they could see first hand if Roof Maxx really made a difference.

Here’s what they found;

Thanks,

Mike Feazel
Roof Maxx Technologies, LLC

I don’t think InterNACHI has any plans to start testing products.

One of the main reasons that shingles deteriorate is the loss of volatile compounds (compounds that boil at a relatively low temperature) in the asphalt that keep shingles flexible and waterproof. Over time, shingles lose volatiles to evaporation. The rate of evaporation is related to the amount of heat to which shingles are exposed over the long term. Heat is the primary problem, not UV, since the asphalt is protected from UV by granules. UV ony deteriorates asphalt when the asphalt is exposed.

The loss of volatiles results in shrinkage and embrittlement of the asphalt, both of which contribute to loss of granule adhesion, distortion, and delamination.

Excessive use of inexpensive stone fillers in shingle asphalt is responsible for early craze cracking, but I haven’t heard about it causing granule loss.

I’m not sure what they mean by “staining”. It’s true that algae feed on stone fillers, but that doesn’t produce a stain, but algae colony growth, which becomes thicker with the availability of water. You’ll see parts of a roof shaded by overhanging trees exhibit more algae growth than parts of the roof more exposed to the sun. Algae growth is a cosmetic issue. The major shingle manufacturers have information about the effects of algae on shingles available online. This is the first time I’ve heard the claim that algae causes elevated moisture levels that in turn cause granule loss through freeze-damage. I think the amount of water retained by algae is miniscule compare to the moisture to which shingles are exposed from rain and snowmelt.

If a sealer can prevent the loss of volatiles, then I suppose it would prolong shingle roof life. When they reach their boiling point, the volatiles become gaseous and would have to be contained next to the surface of the asphalt until the temperature dropped enough for them to be reabsorbed into the asphalt.

If you’ve already started losing granules due to loss of volatiles, seems to me it’s a little late to start sealing. Seems to me you’d want to seal the roof while the shingles still retained enough volatile compounds to perform well. I’m just sort of thinking aloud, so to speak.