Sears and Robuck Panel

Originally Posted By: wcampbell
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This is the first time I have seen this type of panel. Any comments?

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/SearsandRobuck.JPG

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/searspanel.JPG

--
This Ole House-Home Inspections
William A. Campbell TREC # 6372
Serving the Texas Coastal Bend
(361) 727-0602 (home)
(361) 727-0055 (office)
(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

Yes Bill…that panel is a “Pushmatic” panel, whereas the breakers are pushed on or off. I still see some of them in use here in Ohio and for the most part, they are safe, just old. Replacement breakers for them can still be found but are costly. They are somewhat “hairy” to work on but if careful, they can still be used. Typically they are main lug only panels though, with some sort of main disconnect attached to them at some place after or at the meter. Unless the panel looks as bad as the one in the pics you sent, or the load of the house exceeds what the panel is rated for, I probably would not recommend replacement. However, some feel that the mere age of a panel would constitute it to be upgraded. Kinda sad when one thinks as we get older someone might recommend that we be replaced too icon_rolleyes.gif

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Also Bill it looks like you have a double tap on the lower right hand buss. If there is no place to remove that double tap to, I then would recommend replacement only because Pushmatic breakers do not have a twin or mini breaker which could be used to remove a double tap. It also appears that this panel is a main lug only panel…therefore…is there a main disconnect someplace for it. If no…again replace it.

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: nlewis

I have seen new Pushmatic tandem/twin breakers often in 15 & 20 amp sizes. I happen to like that type of panel from the point of view that the breakers are screwed into the bus and will not accidentally fall out when the cover is removed.

I wonder when Sears retired the Homart name?

Neal…if you have breakers falling out of other panels… icon_surprised.gif you have problems

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
I happen to like that type of panel from the point of view that the breakers are screwed into the bus and will not accidentally fall out when the cover is removed.

Neal,

This is what you are referring to, right?
![](upload://xgf92OuhNRe3DVOJCVxbbhVxQSb.jpeg)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

icon_lol.gif rofl

Originally Posted By: rking

David,

The thought occured to me.... If you can make something good look bad; can you make something bad look good? ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)
And if so, that sure must help if any of your clients ever come back at you for something ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: nlewis

David,

Good one. I'm still laughing as I look over the threads. I'm just happy I didn't open that one up. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Those breakers look like they got awfully hot. At least the fire would have been contained to the attic subpanel.