SEC Grounded conductor comments

Originally Posted By: smcintire
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P4120031.JPG ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/P/P4120032.JPG ]

No takers on how the service ground is connected or routed in the panel? icon_cry.gif

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Starting with the spliced neutral (grounded) feeder. While I believe it is allowed to splice SECs within the panel with “appropriate” splices, I have no idea if that particular fitting is OK or not. The “pigtail” looks woefully undersized, even for a neutral.

The grounding conductor (connected to what was obviously intended to be the neutral lug) looks like it has been split, with part of it serving as a panel bond at the bushing. There is also a strand just hanging loose.

It's a mess, and I would call for repair.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Richard, thanks

Originally Posted By: Kyle Kubs

Yes Steve this is definitely not correct. Add to what Richard said that the Neutral conductor has had several strands clipped to make it fit the splice clamp - Then on the other side of the clamp the new copper conductor is considerably undersized - The neutral conductor should have been connected to the heavy lug on the right side…

"Call en electrician mah, Harry homeowner's been in the box again..."

Kyle Kubs
Benchmark Home Inspection Services
North NJ

--
Those that say it cannot be done should stop interupting those of us who are hard at work, doing it...

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Looks like a panel upgrade done without replacing the SE cable … doesn’t seem like a good call.

In addition to the other comments, the neutral splice looks like it may have been done with a ground connector.

Also add that it looks like they spliced multiple neutral wires together to extend them, where they should have a pigtail on each one landing on individual neutral terminals.

Just my opinion and 2-nickels ... ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong