Seeking honest advise from veterans &/or new guys for a small female considering home inspections as a business

Hi Tara,
We could be twins a decade apart. I have recently passed the HI test in FL. In the process of finding mentors to shadow, etc. Working on interNACHI courses, getting insurance, fingerprinting, license, DBA and LLC and the list goes on and on. I dont have a problem with ladders, roofs, critters. Contact me if you have any questions that have not been answered.

As a home inspector you are consistently selling, it never ends and is a major portion of the self-employed home inspector. Those who make it past the magic first three years understand that the majority of new clients are derived from previous jobs, those who don’t make it past three years know it too. So one of the biggest hurdles will be selling yourself and your business, this process never ends, so if you don’t like selling, really like it I would suggest another profession.

As I mentioned before, I have a degree in Public Relations, so I am capable & understand the necessities of customer service, being personable & enthusiastically selling oneself when offering a service.

In referencing my dislike for selling, I meant that in the comparisons among the 3 careers (i.e. real estate, appraisals, or inspections) that I prefer the 2 geared toward offering services verses convincing people to buy the products - (e.g. houses.)

But I understand the point.
As a consumer -buying & selling 7 houses in the last 5 yrs - the inspectors chosen for each of our required inspections were the first ones available to the agents &/or lenders. While we paid for the service, I didn’t have interactions with the inspectors much & didn’t have a choice in buying the service since they weren’t “as is” purchases.

I didn’t need to be convinced that I needed to buy something from someone; we were told we needed an inspection, so we got on google, or got a name from an agent, or lender.

I understand the service is sold, but the nature of it - as a requirement for each purchase- takes away the need to “convince” someone that they need one product/service - over another.

Believe me, I understand that a crappy service or lacking personality would tank a career in selling any service.

I’m not a troll- or introvert
Lol

But I do not want any salesperson to ask me to buy anything, & don’t I want to bug people to buy anything from me. I want to offer a great service that’s already needed & earn repeat customers based on my performance & attitude.

I hope/assume that if/when I offer a great service, do a great job, & act professionally & with appreciation that I won’t have to “bug” people to “buy” the service I can provide - especially when almost every purchase requires that service.

I understand supply/demand, competition/referrals, repeat customers, customer service, & public relations.
:slight_smile:

Sounds wonderful :blush:
We have a home in Valdosta, GA- near the GA/FL line.

Would love to stay in touch & get advice.
Is it typical or required to have a mentor?

Regards,
Tara

are you on FB?
Or we could chat on the phone.

I’m in Lakeland, FL so not too far away

I’m Tara Boatright Parker on Facebook. We live in Savannah Tennessee now, but kept our place in Hahira GA as well.

I hope we will move back there one day.

Please feel free to add me on Facebook, & we can exchange numbers :slight_smile: