Servic e Entrance Cable

I wrote this service cable up as being defective due to the worn sheathing. I have written it up before and the people have replaced the cable. Today the homeowner had the electrician call me and chew me out for writing it up because it would cost the homeowner a lot of money to repair. He said that the frayed wires are the ground wires and it was okay that they were exposed to the weather. I have had electricians say that it is unnacceptable and should be replaced. Now the homeowner and realtor are upset with me. I feel that it is not water tight and should be corrected. Can anybody give me the right answer?

That cable has reached the end of its service life. It could also allow water into the socket or panel. It should not be a lot of money to replace.

I would trump him with 10 Master Electricians Ready, Willing and Able to discount his finding.

and the point of this is???

Simple Answer…
Tell the Electrician to put His Opinion…
In Writing…
On Letterhead…
Backed up with Insurance…

And I will accept his opinion…

After 10 years…
and 1000’s of Inspections…
have yet to meet ONE
who accepted the challenge…

All complaints aside…
your Report stands…

1 Like

He shouldn’t call himself an electrician.

As Jim said this cable definitely needs to be replaced.

Who the hell cares what it’s going to cost? A defect is a defect!

I’ll bet that “electrician” was his brother, or a buddy!

I would not give the guy credit for even being called an electrician. It’s people like him (lack of proper training) that continue to cause people to get electrocuted and or causing electrical fires. That picture is basic electric 101. What year is this 2011?

Well at least he was close, since thats the “grounded conductor” on the service side … :wink: … but that usually carries current … :shock:

[The chances that the loads to each of the service hot wires are perfectly balanced to completely cancel each other out is zero to none]

I agree with Joseph, put it writting, and if its not needed why was it made that way in the first place?