Service line is braided at house side of the meter, is this OK?

I observed braided water supply pipe on the house side of the meter. It then travels underground. The supply pipe entering the home is copper (meaning there must be an underground connection somewhere, which is a concern)

Here are the meter side photos

I looked at this table…and I do not see this as an approved pipe material, unless it is considered stainless?

I wonder if that stainless braided line just goes to the curb valve nearby.

As far as I’m concerned the braided pipe does not meet the following criteria.

2 Likes

There was no visible curb valve. In fact, in my area they are rare.

Thank you.

The second part of my question was the underground pipe connection. I may be wrong, but I did not think you could make an underground connection that was not visible or accessible.

1 Like

Mechanical connections to the water main are not considered accessible. I’ve used dresser coupling on water mains and the AHJ allowed the backfill and burial. Again not accessible without digging up the yard. As a general good practice there should be no mechanical fittings on the water main that are not accessible.

A Buffalo Box will utilize a flare or ferrule and get buried as well. All these connections are not accessible without digging the yard up.

1 Like

Thank you, I will use that statement alongside my braided hose concerns. I appreciate you.

1 Like

Good catch Brian.

1 Like

This is what I ended up with. I think I am covered and have given the client good direction. Open to feedback.

The water supply pipe material was partially visible at both the house side of the meter (braided pipe) and the garage mechanical room (copper pipe). I have concerns with the braided supply piping. For this application, the use of braided pipe material is unconventional and is not consistent with modern building standards. Additionally, as a general good building practice, there should be no mechanical fittings on the water supply piping that are not accessible. Recommend further evaluation for corrections as needed by a qualified plumbing contractor.

4 Likes

That’s an excellent narrative Brian!

1 Like

Since the mechanical fittings are on the street side, wouldn’t that be up to the Water District for that area? And how do they shut the water service off?

It’s on the house side.

1 Like

You cannot see it, but it is under the dial cover.

Here is one from another home

3 Likes

@mwilles now I am rethinking the whole thing. This is a 1997 home, that meter and braided cable appear to be new. The county may have done this work to put in a modern meter. I am still going to comment on it, but I think my client should talk to the county as well.

1 Like

I’ve been hired by local municipalities to replace water meters. They don’t get inspected and I bill them for any parts I list. I could have performed my work in an unethical manner and nobody would be the wiser.

Don’t assume the local municipality followed the rules.

1 Like

That is kind of my point. I think the client needs to alert them and ask some questions. Because ultimately, the customers in this county are responsible for everything from the house to the meter. If some private or public contractor screwed this up, now is the time to find out.

2 Likes

I originally mistook the braided line to be on the city side. I agree with you to put this on the table, for it don’t look right and sound right to use flex lines in the ground.

2 Likes

You sure it is not a water meter on a lawn care system? The counter would detect leaks in the line and the Homeowner would/could count the liters/gals used to irrigate over the course of a year.
What were the numbers on the meter counter?

1 Like

I do see separate meters for irrigation, typically for commercial. Not so much for private residences around here. And this home did not have an irrigation system.

This system is very typical for residential here. In ground meter in a valve box near the road.

Good catch Brian. Whatever possessed you to open that pit cover and take a look under it? Is that something you regularly open and look in, as a matter of your normal inspection? What other things do you open and look at that might be otherwise missed by a HI? Thanks.