Should classroom courses for home inspectors in Canada be outlawed?

I’ll agree to that!!:smiley:

Next round is on me!:mrgreen: , but seriously when I attended both Joe’s and John’s classes as a newbie I was able to meet and speak to some very successful and knowledgeable inspectors/businessmen(remember we are running businesses). As a result I took away much more information and knowledge than just what the training courses were about, and that is something that online or distance education cannot provide. You are also able to make associations or friendships with others that may be helpful to you down the road.

Hey Nick!

I think it’s ridiculous to suggest outlawing classroom training, in Canada, or anywhere else. I run classes in Toronto, On., and although I use a lot of Internachi online material; I also incorporate both hands-on training in the classroom, with doing lots of actual class home inspections in the field.
I believe my students get the best of all worlds, in terms of training, but I still have to agree with James Bushart, who said that three guys chatting during a smoke or lunch break would transfer more valuable knowledge, in 15 mins. than you would during a one hour video, and it’s largely due to the interaction between them; the asking and answering of relevent questions.
Online is good. Classroom is better…Doing lots of actual inspections is the best way to learn! Sharondale Academy, in Toronto, offers all three methods
rolled into their unique inspection training classes, available two or three times a year. Check out " TRAINING " at WWW.HEALTHYINSPECTIONS.COM
Online is the easiest way to make money, but if that’s the reasoning behind training that way; the students are getting ripped off, in more ways than one!

Nothing replaces classroom training.

Rockway Home Inspection ******
** http://www.SanAntonioTexasHomeInspector.com](http://www.sanantoniotexashomeinspector.com/) ****
San Antonio Texas, San Antonio based home inspection company offering services throughout San Antonio and surrounding counties.

Harold writes:

I was trying to be ridiculous with the title of this thread. InterNACHI supports more classroom training than all the schools combined. In fact the largest home inspector classroom event in the history of the industyr was held by InterNACH last year in Canada. 7 tracks (classrooms) running for 3 days: http://www.nachi.org/convention2007.htm

And I just did this classroom event: www.nachi.org/toronto2008.htm

My purpose in writing the article and making the post was just to make the point that online education has its advantages to both inspector and consumer. Some still poo-poo it.

Sorry Nick!..I misunderstood your intentions. It appears we are in total agreement on that issue, afterall.

It was what is known as lobbing a Gromicko grenade. :wink: I was trying to get a discussion going on the pros and cons of each and went overboard on the title of the thread.

BTW: I just signed up for a Calculus classroom class at C.U.

Man!!! Now, in the morning, you gotta get up and outta bed, take off the pyjamas (or are you “au naturel”), get dressed, drive/walk to the campus…when I’m sure U. of Phoenix would get you credit in a few weeks …all right from your bed!!!

No, it’s worse than that… it’s night school! :roll: :smiley:

So staying awake should not be a problem:cool:

Hi Nick,
I have recently joined INTERNACHI, and I am very glad to have found you. Before hearing of you from a local Inspector, I was becoming very frustrated at the process for certification here in Ontario. I took 5 of the required courses for inspectors in Ontario, and due to the convoluted way to break in to the Ontario Home Inspectors Association, I was starting to think I had wasted 1 year and $3,000 in a College education. I took 4 of the classes in-class; Electrical,Plumbing,Building Codes, and Health and Safety. HVAC was taken online through the college.
I graduated all courses with high marks, but I didn’t know the difference between a gambrel and a gable until I took your roofing course. Scary, eh?. Keep it up!!
Richard in Ottawa

Hi Richard - it’s truly unfortunate to hear of your experience. My comments are not intended to paint all other types of learning opportunities with the same brush. But fact of the matter there are various types and quality of education available out there, and some not as clear and beneficial as others.

I teach/facilitate several online college courses for Humber College (Toronto Ontario) from my home in Windsor-Tecumseh Ontario. These include Intro to Home Inspections, Structures for Home Inspectors, and Building Science for Home Inspectors. I have also developed education and training for First Nation National Building Officers through two well recognized government agencies.

I would certainly like to clarify that not all home inspection courses are at the same level of rigor and value. This type of inequity and uncertainty is why it is extremely important for a home inspector or a person considering entering this field to do their homework and carefully research getting the best value for your money. That is why the National Certification Program has an independant consultant and a National Accreditation Council that reviews voluntary submissions of Home Inspection Training courses/programs. If you go to the website you will see what courses/programs are “accredited”.
http://www.nca-anc.com/
Being that I am involved with the National Certification Program, you can go to the website and review those program that are recognized and are “accredited” to the National Occupational Standard for Home and Property Inspectors in Canada. At the current time it is a good and reliable source to validate access to further your education and training.

BTW: Did you learn how to recognize a butterfly styled roof?

Welcome Richard!

I’m just accross the river so if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call.

Home inspecting is a continuous learning experience and you will find that no two house inspections and reports are the same even though they may be the same house…

Regards,

Claude, your link don’t work for me anyway…

Hey Claude!

I tried clicking on that website, you mentioned, and it won't come up!

Thanks I have corrected the url. http://www.nca-anc.com/
Checkout “Accredited Training”

Thanks Claude!..I got it.

Why wouldn’t Algonquin College in Ottawa be interested in submiting its Home Inspection courses for accreditation???

Marcel:

Are you sure they aren’t interested? There are several training institutions in the process of having their courses, etc. evaluated by the National Accreditation Council. This is quite a rigorous process because they are evaluated on how closely they teach to the National Occupational Standards. It is far from being a 'rubber stamp for them.

Some institutions already know on their own that they need to change their curriculum a bit to qualify, and that can take them some time.
Bill Mullen

The NC has been on for a few years and I would have expected colleges to be the first on their list of accredited courses but then again…

The issue becomes as Bill indicated taking the time and effort to update course material to match the NOS (National Occupational Standard). The NOS provides the source for pedagogically sound curriculum development for the course. The course learning outcomes must provide measureable performance value that provides the necessary skills to become a “reasonably” successful home inspector. Example - "upon successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to:

1. Effectively participate and communicate in the completion of a home inspection report
  2. Demonstrate appropriate and sound resolution in reporting on specific issue related to defect recognition
    etc.

But more to your comment - initially they all “seemed” to meet the “standard” at first glance, however, after a more detailed review - some did not. Others did not apply for accreditation, or perhaps more recently may have applied and may be in process. The review by the NAC (National Accreditation Council) is a huge task and not an automatic acceptance.

Some courses/programs are only “accredited” for the maximum hours in the range of 200 to 250 hours, while others much less such as 40 hours. This less factor simply indicates that only part of their course curriculum is recognized. These generally provide the basic skill levels, while some accredited course offer 40 to 80 hours on one system such as structures.