Silly Builders - Funny conctruction defect pictures

Will, excellent article and discussion of the subject. Another learning experience for all and a re-enforcement on the stuff we know. Thanks.

And I thoughtt I had seen it all. garden hose from dishwasher hook up under sink across the floor into toilet, (drain line was backed up)

Hey at least they found a use for your Dishwasher Tee Jeff.
Here is from last Saturday’s in a high end High rise.

(yes it was leaking)

From yesterday’s Condo assosiation inspection for problems with their split faced block water intrusion problem, and totally unrelated to that particular problem.

We see s*^t when we are inspecting for patricular C*(p.

• WHO THE BLOODY HELL PUTS A P TRAP IN A TPR DRAIN PIPE? Also, WHO USES PVC FOR A TPR DRAIN PIPE? And then they connect to to the A/C coil’s condesate line.
  • Why is this condo unit’s utility room’s (top floor, sloped roof) utility room, with gas fired furnace (cat 1) conventially drafted water heater and combo washer dryer) ceiling missing?

Oh, I almost forgot, and please exuse my rate,

WTF ARE THEY DOING VENTING TH DRYER TO A ROOF JACK VENT? AND THROUGH FOIL FLES TUBING? AND WHY ARE THEY INSULATING AROUND A COMMON (serving four furnaces and four water heaters) GAS FIRED FURNACE VENT? DO THEY REALLY WANT TO KILL EVERY ONE IN THE BUILDING?

OK, Now I feel better. Just had to RANT!!!

Did you call out the insulation touching the b vent Will? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I did. But even better, (OH NO! I FEEL IT COMING ON AGAIN!!!)

OK. Now I HAVE TO GET ALL STARTED UP AGAIN!

THANK YOU, EVER SO LITTLE!!!

IT WAS NOT A B VENT!!!

ARRRRRHUG!!!

Jeff, Bob, and Will, what’s happened to Chicago’s *strong *plumbing union? :stuck_out_tongue:

• Union’s under performing and over pricing. Union shops priced themselves out of the market, except for the high rises.
  • Many union plumbers (and carpenters and masons and electricians, etc) didn’t have any work and their union benefits ran out and they started doing “side jobs” and under-union wages.\
  • Many foreign workers, who were really good, but were not union, came in.
  • Then, many foreign workers, who were NOT good, came in and lowballed the unions and the good foreign workers (in all the trades).
  • Then, the building boom. GCs do not have to have any credentials (just G/L insurance) and they were free to hire th lowest bidder.
  • The “new” GCs didn’t know anything about construction and thought it was simply a matter of hiring the lowest bidders.
  • Then, they sold these places and dissolved their LLCs and walked away (many moved back to Poland, Ukraine or the former USSR, or just moved back to Mexico or went into grass cutting (which they call “landscaping” or “concrete contractors”), and there was no one left to sue.
  • The Cities (Chicago) code inspectors are very overworked, underpaid and “Da Mayor” orders a moritorium on calling out many issues with new construction. Chicago has not even had a Masonry inspector for the last 9 or so years! Go figure.

Do not rely on the government to “protect” you when you are not even interested in protecting yourself.

Accountability and sue dilligence starts at home.

Hope this helps;

So basically greed and no accountability, at least it helps keep you guys employed.

Yes, it does.

BTW: Watch Channel 7 news at 10:00 tonight. Split faced block, the next problem.

Hope this helps;

Unlike Will I have little issue with unions.
When I open a panel and I see it nice and neat with pretty angles then it is a local 134 guy that did it and sure beats the rats nests many of the non-union or DIY guys leave behind.
I can only guess a union guy stole Will’s first girlfriend or something along those lines.:slight_smile:
With the union guys there is at least some level of insured competence just like with having state license and NACHI certification.:slight_smile:

Darn I just came in and missed the report so I will check the web site.
What was the story called?

So a union guy did this? :slight_smile:

Hey at least they found a use for your Dishwasher Tee Jeff.
Here is from last Saturday’s in a high end High rise.

(yes it was leaking)
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f11/40312d1290479024t-silly-builders-funny-conctruction-defect-pictures-bathroom-drain-1024x768-.jpg

I forgot to mention that was a bathroom sink.
The half bath had a expensive bottle trap that of course drained slow at a shallow glass basin.

Chris no union guy would ever do that and I am happy that I do not need to inspect all that Romex stuff.
When I have seen it it looks messed up and is not secured.
Imagine in a place like Chicago where the Aldermen would sell there own mother for a buck what type of construction we would endure.

Hey bad construction=more inspection work:shock: (never mind):twisted:

Bob, I do not dislike unions. Many of them actually are more guilds than unions in tyhat they provide training for their members (IBEW, Plumbers, Carpenters). My only gripe, if you could call it that, is that they have priced themselves out of the market.

Here is another one, I found the other day.

4 unit condo building and every TPR valve pipe was PVC and connected to the condensate drain pipe for the A/C. They even had P traps.

Home Depot, Menards and Lowes.

OK that’s what I figured.
You are thinking and posting with your landlord hat on.:slight_smile:
As a home inspector the quality of work is superior in general when it is union labor.
When I go into a building with union maintenance staff I am able to give my client the schedules for when everything is done because they stick to them .
There is an added comfort level.
As far as pricing goes that is subject for discussion.

(P.S) any extra calls for work as a direct result of the WLS report?

Two from this week - improper venting.

One from a couple weeks ago. Garage was converted to a living space and plywood was installed directly on concrete with vinyl flooring on top.

PB242027.jpg

PB242025.jpg

PB242077.jpg

Nope, but I got a lot of calls from Realtors.

Go figure.

I also got interviewed by Fine Homebuiler magazine for an article, posted here:

Hope this helps;

Well I hope they gave you some.

Maybe drunk or stupid, I am not sure which.