Simple Report

Originally Posted By: Steve Thorne
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey everone! I am looking for a simple, yet effective, report for a new home inspector. I have read all the threads on here but there is nothing concise.

I was hoping to find one that would help steer me through the basics of the inspection.

Thanks,

Steve Thorne

Schenectady NY

Originally Posted By: clawrenson

There are several different approaches that you might take. Review what others have done, use references from text sources, or purchase an inspection reporting system.

1) I have found through online web searches a number of sample inspection reports that might be used as reference.

2) I have invested in quite a few text books but several that come to mind with checklist styled references include: Home Inspection Handbook by John Traister (Craftsman), Inspecting a Home or Income Property by Jim Yuen (Ten Speed Press), or The Complete Book of Home Inspection by Norman Becker (McGraw Hill).

3) There are numerous report systems on the market - binder styled with checklist, or one similar but a combination of checklist with narrative. Than again you can go computer based too.

Options 1 and 2 above take many hours of time to develop your own - but are customized to you and your comfort level. Option 3 generally provides time and experienced tested reports from experts in the field.

When I first started I created a Wordprocessing boiler plate, later switched to the Carson Dunlop Report system (that cost about $50.00 per report), and later swithched to the Your Home Report system, which cost approximately $16.00 per report. Nowadays after investing in computers and printers - I can get that cost down to under $5.00 per report using software such as 3D Inspection systems.

Several of these texts as noted above will help provide you with a systematic means to perform the inspection and provide you with a checklist of inspection items pertaining to the system discussed.

The possibilities of changing over the lifespan of your home inspection business can vary significantly. So research will pay off - if you invest before jumping into any "glitzy" reporting system. Bottom line your report is important but the information and accuracy of your report will keep you away from trouble. The report is only as good as the knowledge and accuracy of the inspector completing it!

Regards, Claude in Windsor Ontario

--
Ontario Home Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: aroden

Steve Thorne wrote:
I was hoping to find one that would help steer me through the basics of the inspection.

Try whispersolutions.com Steve. I just switched over to it and love it. They have several formats. I use the Texas format. Even if you're not from Texas, you can use it.

It's simple, all the categories or systems in a house are itemized in an EASY to follow manner and you can customize it as you wish.

Download a demo and play with it - it's take about 0 minutes of practice to get competent with it.

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Steve, I prefer the checklist with narrative. Check out the “Home Guide” through inspection depot. Inspectiondepot.com. This report system to me surpasses anything out there for starting home inspectors. The Home guide gives the WOW factor for your clients. Contact Michael Rowan at Inspection Depot, he wrote the report system. He also runs a company called Ameripro Inspection in Jacksonville FL(very successful). He just came out with the computer version. Again no one here will agree on one report system, it’s what your comfortable with. Good luck. If you want you can link to the report system through my web site at alliancetechinspect.com.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Jim Gallant

Steve,

You might want to try ReportHost. See:

http://www.reporthost.com

It's an on-line report writing and publishing service. Free to sign up, no software to install, 30 free reports for NACHI inspectors, very customizable. The field notes do a good job of guiding you through an inspection that's compliant with NACH, ASHI and NAHI standards of practice. Many other NACHI inspectors are using it.

-Jim Gallant
ReportHost staff

Originally Posted By: kleonard

Steve,

I use 3D reporting software. For me it works great. I also have the pocket reporter software. When I do an inspection I whip out the PDA and use it as the checklist and record all the info on it. I also use a digital camera and a digital voice recorder. When I gat back to the office I place my PDA in it's cradle and with a couple of clicks it's transfered to my PC, completed.

With the 3D I can put the pictures in the report anywhere I like, and change any line item. Also with this software you can program it make your report look anyway you want. You can see a sample of my report here, scroll down and click on "sample report" http://www.the-home-inspection-company.com/index_files/page0003.htm

I can also put into a PDF file and email it across the country if need be.

But as said earlier, everybody has their own system that they are confortable with... decisions decisions ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Kevin Leonard
www.The-Home-Inspection-Company.com

Originally Posted By: Steve Thorne

Thanks every one for your input! : icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: adeerey

I used to own a Pillar to Post that was a check box like system

I agree with all the posts it is what you are most comfortable with.
But

You have to have a good presentation back to your clients "Word of mouth is our best advertisment"

I use InspectVu also off of www.pvsoftware.com and really think it is quick and very proffesional

We do all our reports on site - so I need something fast and with a great presentation

Hope this helps email if you have any other questions
AJ Deerey
Slab-2-Shingles
www.slab2shingles.com

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

There are several in http://www.nachi.org/deals.htm

Nick