Size of Roofing Nail???

The nails are still visible in the photo. They did not pull out from inadequate pentration. Maybe they were over-driven and compromised the integrity of the shingles, or maybe the winds that caused the damage exceeded the wind speed rating of the shingles.

Regardless of what nailing implement was used the, shingles were nailed too high which on arcihtectural type shingles causes a hinge effect once high winds are introduced.
If anyone gets a chance to look at a loose shingle of that type just look at the back of it and you will see why nailing too high is a great big no no.It easily will fold lengthwise at its lamination point. Nails must go through both layers of an architectural shingle.
You can see that was not the case as there are nails above the tops of the preceeding shingle.Those nails should have been at least an inch below if the next layer was nailed properly.

I did some jobs in Florida and we did an 8 nail pattern, I wasn’t going to have any call backs…Hate to be the guy when it’s time for tear off!:mrgreen:

Those shingles are short-nailed *and *high-nailed. Nails should be through the portion where the laminations overlap near the centerline of the shingle.

I know this is an old post, but I am interested in getting a copy of the page that quote was coped from. If someone is still monitoring this thread, please contact me at: jmail1494 (at gmail dot com)