Software for Newbie

What is the best software for a beginning inspector. My understanding is that there are companies that offer “per inspection” pricing. This seems like a good thing for someone staring out. Can anyone give me some suggestions.

1 Like

Christopher, Kenton has put together a good article on choosing software. Many give free samples and some offer pay per inspection. And, if they don’t say, call them and ask.

Here is Kenton’s link:
https://hinarratives.com/narrative-library-formats/choosing-inspection-software/

3 Likes

Oh, and welcome to our forum, Christopher!..Enjoy! :smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, Christopher, Enjoy!! :+1:

1 Like

Reporthost.com

1 Like

Christopher, Inspection software companies are generally offering an increasing number of purchase/subscription options. The more time you can spend evaluating them, the happier you’re likely to be with the one you finally pick. That article Larry mentions covers things to consider when you’re evaluating different inspection software and it has links to some established companies.

1 Like

The problem with approaching this with the mindset of needing something only good enough for a “newbie” is if you get busy and outgrown your “newbie” software, it becomes increasingly painful to change later on.

1 Like

But on the flipside, a Newbie has no clue what a Report Software should do or how it should present to Clients. Most software are NOT ready-to-use straight from the box, regardless what they tell you!
A program such as Reporthost is ready to go (95%, but useable) and can be used forever, with minor updates over the years. No need to ever change… except for the fee per report… but it is still no where near what the likes of Spectora and others charge for a monthly subscription.
IMO… a Newbie should not be doling out $1,000+ for software until they have an actual need for it! That’s $$$$ that should be going to marketing and brand devopment.
JMHO.
For the record… I use multiple report software, including Reporthost (as needed) and custom (Word) based. I perform many types of different inspections, and there is NO ONE SOFTWARE that does it all… (to the quality I demand).

4 Likes

The other thing to consider is the platform that will help you run your business. A software like Spectora automatically sends out agreements, reports, and delivering payments by credit card. I never have to make trips to the bank, its all managed by Spectora. I normally get paid before I perform the inspection. It send out reminders to the clients and agents before the inspection.
It also lays out the categories that need to be inspected and will not publish the report until all items are complete.
On the other hand I also use word and excel for my commercial inspections. I tried many times to adapt the software to fit my needs but it does not work for me. I do use Spectora to send out the contracts, upload the word and excel files, and collect payment. The other thing to think about is Spectora stores all of the inspections and you can retrieve them at any time. I have used them for almost 4 years and plan to continue based on all the benefits I receive running my business.
One other thing living in Florida they have adapted the Citizens 4 Point and Wind Mitigation reports to work in the Spectora platform. This alone saves me hours a day.

2 Likes

Nice description of how you use Spectora, WORD and EXCEL, Patrick. :+1:

1 Like

Patrick, do those services come with the standard version of Spectora or are they upgrades that are a little more money?

1 Like

Hi Kenton, all of the benefits are included for $70.00 per month. The software also stores all invoices and tracks mileage for the year. It also integrates with quick books to input the cashflow.

1 Like

I agree with Patrick - I wish I had just gone with Spectora right from the beginning, it would have saved me A LOT of time having to switch. Spectora is a fantastic solution for Inspectors wanting more than just reporting software since it offers more of a “inspection management” solution with the Agreements, Invoicing, (optional) payment integration, automation of emails, database of contacts, tracking of metrics, etc. You can use it for just about any service you offer, too - I have templates/services set up for everything from home inspections to radon testing, mold testing, water testing, and more. It is VERY flexible.

Patrick, how did you get $70.00/month pricing? I would love to know how to reduce my fees - presently it is $99/month or $1000/year and I am not aware of any other discounts. Please share if you can. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Larry. Looking forward to it

Thanks Jeffrey,
Spectora sounds great but when you haven’t even booked an inspection it’s difficult to spend that kind of money. Thats why I asked about pay per inspection. Seems to make financial sense until you get rolling.

1 Like

Thanks for the input Patrick. Spectora sounds great. Just leaning towards per inspection pricing until I get rolling. Hard to pay $99/mo with no ROI

$70/mo. I don’t see it that cheap. Looks like $99. Is there a discount code?

When I started inspecting my decision was based on the report, what it looked like. I also wanted software that I could use exclusively with my iPhone and iPad. At the end of the day I went with inspector nexus. There were others that were more input friendly but I did not like the look of the report. If I ever were to do this full time I’d probably go with Spectora.

1 Like

I believe it’s an additional $70 beyond what you pay for the software.

1 Like