Spooky clients....

Originally Posted By: jwatts1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey Guys,

Maybe you have had similar experiences… I get this call for a home inspection in Corona, California from a resident stating she wants her house inspected (listing inspection). A 3 bedroom, 1200 square foot home.

So I drive out.... do the inspection, no real estate sign in the front yard, and no boxes for packing, and the entire house is almost in "pack-rat" style condition, crap was inside and outside... the property.

While I am conducting the inspection the husband and wife start "SHOUTING" at each other, and the lady starts crying.... so I am about to ask, "is this a bad time for me to be here?!?!" but things cooled down, and I just proceeded thruought the home.

I talked to the husband and wife and was asking them where they were moving to, and just different real estate related questions.... I got very, very, short answers and they would not elaborate.... which to me was a "red" flag.. in my paranoid mind.... especially with today's lawsuits.
The wife only elaborated that she worked for an escrow company... and that was it.

So, I completed the inspection and issued the report.. and I asked the client, one last time over the phone, "So what prompted you to get a home inspection?"

Here was my "spooky" reply: "because I think people are destroying my home"... And I was just like, oh, okay.... didn't know what else to say and the conversation ended there.

Is this abnormal????!!?!? Or am I just being paranoid?

Let me know your thoughts or if you have had similar experiences....
Justin.

Originally Posted By: mboyett

Are you sure they actually lived there? Could the ‘people’ she is referring to be tenants maybe and they were the landlord?

Mike Boyett

Capital City Inspections

Austin, Tx

www.capcityinspections.com

Originally Posted By: lgoodman

Jealous or controlling ex/or estranged partner could sabotage appliances or systems to prove to the other partner their worth in the relationship.

"See, honey, you really can not live here and maintain the house without me."

Any evidence of sabotage? ( interesting word-sabotage-it is about throwing your shoes.)

Originally Posted By: jwatts1

All of the items you mentioned went thru my mind…

But, my family has rental properties.... I could tell, the house was there's... so it was no rental.

I did think that maybe the two were going thru a divorce, or some type of split.... maybe she wanted her house inspected to see what needed to be repaired?!?! before putting the home up for sale?

Oh, well....who knows? and who cares? I got paid....