Staining on gable end

Trying to figure out what caused this. The insulation was good. You can see how high it was. There was not a tree or anything preventing sunlight, But why moisture on this one side Gabel and not on the wall? In the attic it had reflective barrier on the sheathing in this area but also on the other side that does not display this way. Thank you guys

Which cardinal direction was this gable end facing?

3 Likes

was that the north side by any chance ???

1 Like

What type of ventilation system was present (that you actually observed and verified as operational)?
How about a few more relevent photos?

2 Likes

yes north side, but its FL. It has ridge vent and soffits. Soffits were pretty nasty though.

1 Like

My guess, a little microbial growth common on the north sides of things. It is all above the insulation line which sorta defines the dew point for that area.

3 Likes

North in FL

I just don’t see this very often, even on the north side here in FL. typically if I do its on the whole side of the house. Agreeing with what you’re saying though about the dew point. Thanks guys!

1 Like

I’ll take the lack of a reply to MY query to mean nothing was visible and/or verified, and you have no other relevent photos.
Awesome.
Good luck!

1 Like

That’s interesting and may be worth considering. Also, is there a road that side? Anything that would produce a bit of airborne particulates like soot? It may attach to damp surfaces.

1 Like

no just writing a report. There was not much to see though as I could not traverse to this side of the attic , just view it from a closer distance and nothing to see on the exterior wall except what where looking at. it is microbial growth. Just trying to figure out the moisture cause. The side of the home which is stucco, must dry faster of course than the wood. all makes sense with the direction. Just surprised that that much moisture to cause growth.
I do appreciate the reply though.

no road, no soot. next door home 30 feet away with no chimney. I think the wood may just need better painted in order to dry faster.

1 Like

Which is typically, (even if only partially), directly related to the ventilation system… or lack thereof!

Wow. Really?

agreeing of course with what your saying about venting. soffits were not that bad though nd it is a small home with ridge vent. other side is fine

possible mildew noted on north side gabel end…Your job is done , move on…

3 Likes

Above this line is unconditioned space, with the affected wall facing North (cooler wall temps).
This is the area of concern. IMO, the ventilation system is failing.
Your other comments all point in that direction also.

What exactly does that mean?

1 Like

They were dirty but not completely blocked.

Ask your wife what happens when she doesn’t keep the dryer lint trap clean and fully operational?
The clothes take longer to dry, aka. “retains moisture”!

1 Like

My WAG is the attic was not properly vented and may have had the bathroom, kitchen, and maybe even the dryer vents terminated there.

4 Likes