Stair Question

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Does anyone note if stair risers are not uniform in height? I had a set of stairs with 2 flights where the top risers were 1 and 2 inches taller than the rest of the risers. One was 10 inches one was 9 while all the rest were 8. I know it is out of bounds per code but the fix would be VERY expensive (and we don?t do code).

Just wondering,

Dave

Originally Posted By: Guest

I note it, it’s a trip hazard. Just curious…did you measure the risers after you fell?

Originally Posted By: David Suelflow

why yes … actually it was more like a stubbed toe.[/code]

Originally Posted By: Craig Shap

David -
Quote:
you said: I had a set of stairs with 2 flights where the top risers were 1 and 2 inches taller than the rest of the risers. One was 10 inches one was 9 while all the rest were 8.

So all steps within the stringers are at 3 different heights. Thats a good catch...did you happen to observe by ( ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ) eye or did you acually take a tape measure to all risers?

I would probably consider as a possible tripping hazzard.

--
CAS Atl GA.
The Hometeam Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

they are different. I don’t measure. Most common find is the bottom riser in basement stairs being shorter as the basement get finished and the new floor brings it up a few inches.

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: jpeck

I measure them, and write them up when not right.

Riser height, tread depth, stair width, headroom (if applicable), safeguard railing, hand rails, landing, etc.

Granted, a stairway is almost NEVER torn out and rebuilt, so I recommend they call their insurance company and specifically cover the non-conforming stairway, THEN get a credit for 30 years (standard mortgage) or 70 years (life of house) so my clients can pay for that extra insurance, and then have the money to pass on to their buyer when they sell.

When I leave, they know if the stairs are either normally unsafe (all stairs are unsafe) or more unsafe than normal (riser heights too high, riser height variation to great, tread depth to shallow, tread depth variation too great, etc.

It may be more than they want to know about the stairs, but it is not more than I want to make sure I tell them. "Yes, Your Honor, as you can see in my report, I measured the stairway, I told my client they were unsafe, and I advised them to at least buy extra insurance to cover the stairs IF THEY CHOSE NOT TO REBUILD the stairway."

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: chorne

“Your Honor” says it all!!!

A NACHI member said "Observe and report and stay out of court"

Carla

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Hey Carla,

How's it going?

I see you finally used "my statement."

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."