Staple Question for Wind Mits

When you guys are finding staples as the roof deck attachment that are 6" spaced in the field and 6" on the edge, are you checking “A” or “E”. I have been checking “E” and stating 6" x 6". An insurance agent is complaining that I should be checking “B”…:roll:

This would be what you need to know:
Any system of screws, nails, adhesives,
other deck fastening system or truss/rafter spacing that has an equivalent mean uplift resistance of 103 psf.

Do staples meet that?

I’d probably go with E as well. Possibly,F.

I always go with A since that it the only one that specifies staples.

I agree

That specifies 6 inch and 12 inch spacing and if it is 6 inch spacing all around, that would be incorrect, wouldn’t it?

Original post:

If you really wanted to, you could probably check all except D.:mrgreen:

I would mark A. because what Greg said.

http://www.isanta.org/ESR-1539_corrected_Oct_09.pdf

If someone wants to read a lot and do some math that .pdf should allow you to determine mean uplift resistance of stapled plywood(Page 7). It also has a staple to nail conversion chart on page 35. It all depends on how technical you want to get and/or how much arguing you may have to do with an underwriter. Option A is probably the safest answer though.

The house in question was built in 1984. It had a re-roof in 2001, but was not renailed. The staples were the usual cheap staples that were used in the 80’s, but had the 6" x 6" pattern. I was surprised, so I actually checked about 8 truss areas.

Because it doesn’t fully conform to A or B, I checked E and am sticking to it.:wink:

A as well

FL OIR should just issue everyone doing these an official spin wheel so the inspector can just flick the tiny metal arrow and whatever it falls on, that is what you put on their forms. I detect the smell of goats again.

The OIR must get someone to answer these questions in real time on a website or the very least by phone. They take no responsibility and the reports will never be consistent until they do. Then it will only help. They should design the form with answers that are black and white and not open to interpretation. They refuse to and keep it the way it is so they can defer blame and not accept any responsibility.

1 Like

It can’t be A because of the question itself:
Roof Deck Attachment: What is the weakest form of roof deck attachment?
Part of answer A: *by staples or 6d nails spaced at 6” along the edge and 12” in the field.*That is not accurate for this roof.
Or:Any system of screws, nails, adhesives, other deck fastening system or truss/rafter spacing that has an
equivalent mean uplift resistance of 55 psf.

Without knowing exactly what was used in 1984, there is no way to document accurately what is there, unless you plan on taking the roof apart.

B&C don’t even mention staples, so they are eliminated, unless you refer to this:Any system of screws, nails, adhesives, other deck fastening system or truss/rafter spacing that has an equivalent mean uplift resistance of 103 psf.
Which would be higher than the section in answer A, but, if you didn’t know what was used, again, these answers are eliminated.

Which leaves E or F.
Take your pick.

The new form:
A) 7/16 or greater decking with staples 6" on the edge, 12" in the field
B) 7/16 or greater decking with staples, 6" on the edge, 6" in the field
C) 7/16 or greater with nails 6" on the edge, 12" in the field
D) 7/16 decking with nails 6" on the edge and 6" in the field
E) Plank or tongue and groove decking with nails 2 per board per truss.
F) Any system of screws, nails, adhesives,
other deck fastening system or truss/rafter spacing that has an equivalent mean uplift resistance of 103 psf.
G) None of the above

Eric what form are you using?
I just went to the website and all I saw was 1802 rev 2/10

Mike,
That was my suggestion for a new form, not an actual one.

I have several suggestions for the OiR regarding their form, if they are willing to pony up my consulting fee!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Ok I was confused and thought I was behind on something. Thanks for clearing it up. :slight_smile:

Yup… A no brainer. :smiley:

I have to agree… choke… Anyway :smiley: what is really needed is a commentary for each section written by the OIR.

No, what is really needed is a better report format.
That would list:

1. Type of fastener
  2. Spacing of fasteners
  3. Type of decking material
  4. Thickness of decking material

And so on…

I would disagree with you in this instance due to the spacing requirement of the original question. 6 x 6 as opposed to 6 x 12 in answer A

Well at least we all know that the form is a piece of crap. We can’t even agree about which box to check given the parameters.

The underwriter from Citizens said “E”. Ultimately, for this client, that is the only opinion that matters. :wink: