State Licensing Requirement

I’m new, just passed the NHIE, and now in my state (Alabama) it requires you to complete 35 home inspections with a qualified licensed home inspector. I’m not sure how to go about this. Anyone have any insight on this

Larry will be here & explain
Congrats & good luck! :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thank You, any help is appreciated

Jamey, contact some CMIs or CPIs within 40 to 50 miles, or closer, to your area and communicate with them. Maybe one, or more, will help you. Some inspectors feel as though they are training their competition by ride-alongs or mentoring.

Here is the link: https://certifiedmasterinspector.org/members

And the link for CPIs: https://www.nachi.org/certified-inspectors

Also, welcome to our forum, Jamey!..Enjoy! :smile:

Larry… You forgot to welcome Jamey to the MB and to Enjoy!! :frowning_face:

1 Like

2 Likes

Larry, thank you for the links,and yes, was wondering about that training their competition, and what do you do if you cant find anyone? you would think there would be another option or way to do this.

One would think that if it is a requirement for licensing, that the state would provide an avenue for it to happen. Just one of many reasons licensing is crap!!

I don’t know. I never had to deal with that scenario.

The best of luck to you, Jamey!

This profession has a wide range of requirements form state to state. My brother lives in Colorado and they don’t have any licensing criteria. I live in Florida and can do the 120 hours of training online for a couple hundred bucks. My wife has family in New Jersey and they require 180 hours of LIVE training to include 40 on the job. Cost there is about 4 grand.

Jamey, you may have to travel farther and spend some overnights. It would be good if you can connect with someone that does 2 inspections/day and wants to help you.

Don’t be surprised if it costs you some $ to get your inspections. I would search for a CMI 1st because, theoretically, they will be more knowledgeable and more established.

This business costs some $ to get started. Get a good mentor, if you are going to do it.