Steel post on blocks of bolted woods

Hi
A contractor installed steel post using bolted wooden blocks to the main steel beam running underneath to transfer the load
He didn’t welded the steel post directly to the steel beam underneath
Is it acceptable

Can you post pictures?

Using:

1 Like

This is the picture
The reason why we didn’t continue the post all the way down to the main steel beam was the joist beside the stair case which we didn’t want to cut because it works as stair case load bearing

I posted the picture

Minimum load bearing width? 1.5".
Steel Column base Fasteners/anchorage, no issues.

An engineer or qualified contractor would be able to determine if that is a load bearing component.
As for bearing, I see no unreasonable issues, but then again I can not see all the structural components involved.

What is the load that is being transfered from above?
(Yes, pics would help).

Yes, it is good not to cut something willy-nilly if it is load bearing.

It’s hard to say what is below all that blocking but this bearing could be sketchy.

1 Like

Underneath is the man n steel beam and another steel post to the basement

The second floor of the house

Second floor of the house
Underneath there is the main steel beam with another steel post down to the basement

Load is the second floor of the house
Underneath that post there is the main steel beam with a steel post down to the basement

Above that post there is a steel beam which holds the load of the second floor
Underneath the posts there is the house main steel beam , under that beam there is a steel psst down to the basement
I’m the post we installed is right on the post down to the basement
The reason why we used those bolted wood blocks is because we didn’t want to cut floor joist close to the stair case opening which some how blocks our way down to steel beams running under the floor

Why is it a problem for you? And what do you think are the possible consequences?

I do not know about others but the photos are not helping me. I need to be able to see the entire load path.

3 Likes

I am referring to the right post and this is the main floor of a two story house

1 Like

Column. Not post.
Appears the contractor installed a steel H beam infill with lumber to carry the load of the bearing wall that was removed to open the space.
The column appears to be bearing on 1.5" inches on the beam below it which would be the original buildup beam that was installed when the home was erected.

As to what Larry posted about a sketchy buildup sleeper or shim block for the steel columns’ foot, that blocking/shim are resting on the previous planked subflooring. No issues from where I am looking. You would require to see a beam or load carrying component, or lack thereof, to make an opinion.
That being said; I would be careful about calling it out because I suspect a structural engineer was/is involved and your are wondering FAR outside your SoP.
Just my 2 cents.

Hi
The structural engineer was involved
The problem is that he is saying the way the contractor built up with wood blocks is not correct and the Column should be welded directly to the steel beam underneath
But the contractor is saying if we cut the floor joist beside the stair case this would be an issue with the stair case.
At this point we don’t know what to do and the engineer is denying to help how we can secure stair case if we were to weld the column to the steel beam

Hi
The structural engineer was involved
The problem is that he is saying the way the contractor built up with wood blocks is not correct and the Column should be welded directly to the steel beam underneath
But the contractor is saying if we cut the floor joist beside the stair case this would be an issue with the stair case.
At this point we don’t know what to do and the engineer is denying to help how we can secure stair case if we were to weld the column to the steel beam

Obviously, Permits are required, so what did the AHJ have to say about all this??
What does the Engineered Plans dictate??
What is the REST OF THE STORY???

2 Likes

1: No steel beam underneath.
2: Nothing wrong with the build-up shim from my angle. Maybe Randy will post his opinion.

If an engineer is involved, refer engineer’s written opinions only, to your client.

That is your answer.

We elevate our concerns to structural engineers. They do the load calculations and designs, which should be followed precisely, in my opinion.

2 Likes