Steel Septic Tanks

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Igor,

If you find a steel tank, do you advise that it be replaced or at least pumped to check the interior condition? I guess they haven't been installed since the fifties. I've heard that steel tanks can collapse when pumped due to deterioration.

Do you do any other investigation of the drainfield other than check for breakouts? Do you use a probe bar or a post hole digger.

There is legislation in the works that will regulate and standardize septic system inspection in N.J.

When I was a kid, my brother sunk into the ground and fell through the top of a septic tank( most likely steel). Luckily, my mother saw it and pulled him out.

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Igor,

GREAT advice!

Performed an inspection the other day (the one I asked advice on at the Chapter meeting). Couldn't locate the tank or the well. Well casing not visible anywhere. Pump and tank located in basement. Found the name of the septic contractor who pumped the tank 6 weeks ago. Told me it was buried more than 5' below the surface. It was steel and was in decent condition. He recommended that it be replaced, however, to cover his a$$. Client was really happy he had a little time to make a decision. Sewer line is in street in front of his house. It will cost him about the same to hook to sewer as to remove and replace tank. I performed no actual septic inspection for him, and referrd him to the septic contractor who performed the work.

A question... a plumber who works on septic tank inspections told me he performs the dye test, then returns two days later and takes his well samples. He looks for dye in the water. I think this is pretty extreme, and would imagine that if dye leeched into the aquafir that quickly, the well would likely have high levels of fecal coliform anyway, which would show up on the bac-t test.

What do you think of this guys methodology?

Joe Farsetta