Stranded aluminum ground

Originally Posted By: Steve Costa
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Is it ok to ground a panel with a stranded, sheathed aluminum wire to the copper water pipe? Do you need a special fitting because of the dissimilar metals? Thanks, Steve

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/I/Image038.jpg ]

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Aluminum is OK for the grounding electrode conductor as long as it is sized per 250.66 and the ground clamp is listed for copper (pipe) and aluminum.

Thanks Greg.

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

From the looks of this installation, I would say that there are some serious problems and recommend that a licensed electrician take a look at it.

The corrosion is evident and the clamp is probably of dissimilar metal and that is not allowed.

PS: Did you check to see if the clamp was made of nonferrous material.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: lewens

Something tells me this is a ripe environment for galvanic action. All things needed are here. Dissimilar metals,a possibility of current and moisture.

Just my usual 12.5 cents

From The Great White North Eh?
NACHI-CAN
www.aciss-brant.com
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com/

The clamp was in a tight spot, could not get a good line of sight, I just stuck my camera up there and clicked away. I did write it up for the corrosion. My main concern was I had never seen stranded, sheathed aluminum used.

Thanks, Steve

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

The aluminum is OK if it is more than 18" off the ground. That keeps it off of ground rods but Al is OK in the house. You will be using a larger size, just like any other Al conductor vs copper. Stranding is normal for any insulated conductor over #10 although they do make bare #4, 6 and 8 cu.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Hard to tell, but it looks like the signs of corrosion are where the clamp is in contact with the copper pipe/rod … and not really at the lug for the AL wire (which looks like it separates the wire from the pipe/rod). So it appears the concern may be the clamp.

Was that in a damp area, because it looks like an indoor type small diameter pipe clamp for dry areas ... with a typical one shown below (written up as a concern/defect in wet/burried areas).

![](upload://ku2e7ZuG0N96ljUaQYjaX7GFk6.jpeg)

Now if that was a outdoor/burried rated acorn clamp (shown below), I would be concerned about the direct contact between the AL wire and copper pipe/rod.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

That isnt a ground rod. It is the copper water supply pipe. So yes it is a damp location.

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Hey Steve … I missed the part about the clamp being on a water line … opps … just went from the pic which looked kinda like a ground rod. Same concern though, and it appears to be an issue with the clamp and not the wire.

And by damp/wet area I mean like a crawl space that has signs of significant water penetration and no cover over the subgrade (like a thin rat slab or moisture barrier).

Also, does it look like a really old install? That may not be too bad if it's been there for quite a while and there is only a small area with signs of corrosion, and it's pretty easy to just move it a bit to a clean section.

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong