Stucco woven wire flush to tar paper for patch?

Did I mention the bottom of the sill plate is 2" above the walkway grade at points?
And that grade used to be above the sill plates?
Seriously: complaining aside, how should this wall be treated? Is this a picky problem or a real problem, as the wire is placed now?

hire a qualified contractor that will follow basic industry standards

if the contractor can’t convince you with their knowledge and proper application of the industry standards and itemize the layered methods for framing, flashing, wrb and overall water diversion/drainage out of the wall system

don’t hire them

you may need a consultant/inspector/pm that can prescribe to your contractor how the cow eats the cabbage and perform phase inspections to assure proper installation

hire a qualified contractor that will follow basic industry standards

if the contractor can’t convince you with their knowledge and proper application of the industry standards and itemize the layered methods for framing, flashing, wrb and overall water diversion/drainage out of the wall system

don’t hire them

you may need a consultant/inspector/pm that can prescribe to your contractor how the cow eats the cabbage and perform phase inspections to assure proper installation

with all undue fairness the installer is a union guy and probably never installed a piece of flashing throughout his career

flashing would have been completed by others before he ever pulled up to the job site or he would have done what he’s doing on the subject property

his job was to apply stucco, not to be a design/project manager although the better guys may bring the absence of proper flashings to the gcs attention but that would send them back to the union office to sit on the bench and await another opportunity, this doesn’t get the bills paid

hire a qualified contractor that will follow basic industry weather resistive standards

don’t hire them

I have only used hi rib personally. When I did it it was nails and tie wire. I may have stapled some up many moons ago but do not remember for sure. I mainly did the stucco after the lather did his work.

One thing for sure is we did not get to make the decisions on how any of it was done. It was always told to us in the Scope how the project was to be done. Those lovely architects made those decisions. They even dictate weather a window will have a caulk line scored or a termite line around the bottom of the house or not. We HAD to do what they told us. Some better builders would ask for suggestions if we did not agree with something Most did not.

Bryce,

I would still like the answers to my questions, and the video please.

Very well layed out reply BA!

There is a qualified general contractor on the job.
The general did the flashing.

The wire is Davis 1" 20 Gauge 36" “Pre-Furred” Stucco Netting. The wall is challenging, all broken up in parts with bad paper underneath.

This is not a call to bash the work, but to ask advice if this treatment is a problem, and what can practically be done in a patchwork situation like this.

http://obviously.com/temp/StuccoPrepDetail/DSC_9401.JPG

http://obviously.com/temp/StuccoPrepDetail/DSC_9404.JPG

The existing needs to be gently chipped back and everything under/over/side lapped paper on paper and mesh on mesh, no patching to saw cuts.

What flashing has the general done?

Who installed the jumbotex?

The top of the parapet wall needs to be flashed no doubt it has cracks in it and will still let moisture down behind the stucco and or the moisture barrier.

With out something under the sills of the windows to tuck the paper under they will still leak.

Bryce,

How do you fit into the picture, are you the homeowner?

There is a qualified general contractor on the job.

Then why is there any questions that can not be answered by him/her ?

The wall was preped by the general, the jumbotex and wire by the stucco person.

Based on permit records: the top of the parapet was tar & gravel in 1953. In 1998 the t&g was ripped off and 2" of foam put down. How far over the parapet the foam goes is unclear. It is not clear if there is metal flashing down there. The walls were insulated in 2012, so they no longer dry as well as from 1953-2011.

Sometimes a second opinion and extra eyes on a job helps.

No doubt.

And they have no doubt upgraded the HVAC and that changes the dynamics of the structure in so many ways.

Don’t forget the 30 year Stucco Professional Carl.

http://obviously.com/temp/StuccoPrepDetail/DSC_9403.JPG:):wink:

Touché.
That said, you guys get to shine as inspectors, calling out problems. That’s easy.
In this case I have to orchestrate a solution, since it’s my own house.

Especially hard since the roll of wire said ‘self-furring’ on it, so I’m out of good justification it’s wrong.

But at least I can easily call out things like the flashing that puts water back under the new paper:
http://obviously.com/temp/StuccoPrepDetail/DSC_9404.JPG
Or the no-stucco stucco-mold:
http://obviously.com/temp/StuccoPrepDetail/DSC_9395.JPG

:):):):slight_smile:
Selling chicken wire. HA HA HA

Does make you question if they drink on the job.:wink:

If I was inspecting the work it would all be coming off the house, we would have a little pow-wow regarding Stucco 101.

Been a while since I’ve seen a mess like this, but it happens everyday at someones home.

Sad.

I could not agree more. The whole thing comes down in a hurry.
The proper authorities would insure the GC (right) would be fined in my neck of the woods buddy.
I have never seen anything like that Dale. For this day and age it’s ridiculous..

Me thinks its migrant workers. I say God bless any man that wants to feed his family but do not steal saying you know how to build when you don’t and destroy another man’s property. JMO.

That’s Berkeley Ca,
They doing acid KoolAid tests again like back in the sixty’s.:wink: Only on renovators?:wink:

( some )

are not all they are

( cracked ) up to be

Good luck with your house Bryce.

Stucco 101 HA

http://badstucco.com/Leaks101_files/frame.html

still happens every day, (builders/Codes officials/GC’s) all in denial.

and that is no BS

until they own up to there being problems they will not even start to be fixed

For this day and age it’s ridiculous..

typical