Sump pump drains into City Sewer

I didn’t see a lead pipe either. looks like copper, but it’s too close to the sanitary drain, for around here anyway. Should have no less than 5’ separation, correct?

And the working space for the breaker panel looks questionable as well.

1 Like

Correct or on a shelf above the sewer. That’s current code and we have no idea when this home was constructed.

We followed the 5’ rule back in the 90s when I was doing service installs for residential and commercial buildings. Don’t know how far back that particular code dates though…

1 Like

It went back into the 80’s as far as I know. The sewer and water are allowed in the same trench so long as the water is on a shelf 12” or 18” above the sewer, I forget which. Since they both enter the home at the same elevation they should maintain a separation of 5’ like you mentioned.

The last lead service I saw was in the late 80’s and I tied onto the 15’ pigtail from the main with copper. That way we reduced the customers exposure to lead.

1 Like

This house was built in 1890 per Zillow.com. The water supply pipe is copper. I emailed the city DPW regarding the sump pump discharge. I will post their answer when I get it.

2 Likes

Upon further review, it appears to be copper; I thought I saw a bulge just before the valve but…

1 Like

The areas with a CSO – combined storm and sanitary – are cool with it. Those areas treat all the stormwater from streets also (thus a lot more volume but capturing all the oil rubber and other stuff that ends up on the pavement).

All the cities around here make sure to “adjust” the code to justify their building departments. :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Not allowed in central Missouri and not allowed by the Department of Natural Resources.

1 Like