Sump Pump

Originally Posted By: mwright1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve got a dumb question. I inspected an older house that had a sump pump installed in it. The house was built in 1922. I did not inspect/test the pump because there was too much stuff surrounding it. A lot of junk in the basement. Client ended up buying the house anyway and is now turning around and selling it. New inspector comes in and says the pump in draining into the sewer line. What’s the code violations/issues with it? The only one, perhaps the only issue, that I can think of is the sewer gas leaking back up through the pump whole/well. True? But if there is water in the well, wouldn’t that stop it.

The agent is asking my why I didn't catch it. She's not accepting my justification that there was too much 'stuff' around it to inspect.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Sanitary sewer or storm sewer?

Sump pumps are not allowed to drain into storm sewers in my area because they don't want basement drainage to overwhelm the storms during heavy rainfall.

They discharge on the ground outside.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Quote:
17 Sewers 921.02 921.02 USE OF PUBLIC SEWERS. (a) No person shall discharge into any natural outlet within the City or into any area under the jurisdiction of the City, any wastewater or other polluted waters. (b) No person shall construct or maintain any privy, privy vault, septic tank, cesspool or other facility intended or used for the disposal of wastewater without first obtaining the required permits from the City. (c) No person shall discharge or cause to be discharged any storm water, ground water, roof run-off, subsurface drainage, cooling water or unpolluted industrial process water to any sanitary sewer. (d) No person shall discharge into the building sanitary sewer the surface water which collects in basement or foundation excavations. If the building sanitary sewer is complete before the plumbing can be connected thereto, the builder or sewer tapper shall keep the end of the building sanitary sewer tightly closed with a plumber's plug or other watertight plug.

This is from the City of Marysville Codified Ordinances. Which is typical for most large and small cities. More than likely it was installed without permits being pulled.

Paul

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

. The IRC or UPC reference was listed as n/a.

So, apparently it is O.K. to drain into the sewer as long as

the connection is a 'wye' joint above the drain line.

--
"not just an inspection, but an education"

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

P.S. However, local AHJ will, of course, rule.

“not just an inspection, but an education”

First…WOW you all are fast…and great. Thanks for the responses. Without looking at the plumbing again…I would say it’s draining into the sanitary sewer. If it was draining into the storm sewer, wouldn’t that be away from house and little bit out of our relm? How would you tell it was draining into the storm sewer unless you see the pipes? I didn’t note any drain pipes in the yard.

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

How NOT to use a sump pump!!! ]

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Also…would a “licensed” plumber be the best to resolve this problem?