Basement sump pump question

Its friday and Im done for the week. Where is the basement pump allowed to and not allowed to eject.

The outside or the city sewer. I can’t remember and am too lazy to look it up while trying to finish.

anyone…:smiley:

Check with AHJ. Most do not allow discharge into public sewer/drain, but some do, at least in my area.

This is what I use, or similar.

Most, if not all, local, county, and state, municipalities prohibit discharging clean surface water, including water from roof or cellar drains, springs, basement sump pumps and French drains into any sanitary sewer system. These types of connections may be in violation of local sewer use ordinance and state plumbing code.
Discharge of any clean surface water, contributes to the flooding and the impairment of municipal drainage and waterways systems. Such overloading may result in sewage and or water backups flowing into basements and/or residences and businesses and significant damage to properties.
Recommend to contact local housing authority to verify present installation is permitted. When discharging to exterior extend pipe to drain at a negative slope at least 5 feet from foundation.

Chris is correct. It is frowned upon in most all jurisdictions. Only the AHJ can tell you for sure in the area that you are inspection in.

Thanks!
Quite a mouthfull as well.

Since its all about the sump pit I shortened it. Chris I like the comment but I think it has too much to absorb. People sometimes just want to know why its wrong.

How about this:
Most municipalities prohibit discharging of water from basement sump pumps and French drains into any sanitary sewer system. These types of connections may be in violation of local sewer use ordinance and state plumbing code as well potentially backing up into the home from being connected to the drain system. Consult with the local building dept. or a plumbing contractor for proper installation and have corrected if needed.

I agree, what I posted is a little too much. That’s why I said similar, I do not use All of it in reports either, it depends on client how it is edited.

http://www.goldenvalleymn.gov/homeyard/utilities/sump-pumps.php:)