T1-11 question

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m not inspecting, I’m building. 28 x 30 ft garage, cement block foundation, T1-11 siding. It says exterior grade or something to that effect.

Is T1-11 weatherproof? Does it need to be painted/stained?

I gotta get this thing done so I can start my HI training.

Thanks!

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: Guest

All exposed edges and surfaces should be primed and painted. Nails should be caulked first with a urethane caulk. Do not use latex based products to seal the nail holes.

Before installing it’s a good idea to edge prime the boards. Be sure to prime all cuts as well.

Originally Posted By: Robert Koch

There are different types, grades and species (pine, cedar). Yes, all exterior wall coverings should be weather resistant. If within 6 inches of grade, should also be decay resistant.

Just joined the forum, first post. Hope to have time to review often! I have been reading and learning - great resource.

Bob

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Best practice includes priming/painting about six inches up the backside in addition to all edges.

Erby Crofutt

B4U Close Home Inspections

Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Even better would be to prime/paint the entire back side. Plywood will warp in a very odd manner when one side absorbs moisture and not the other.

Bill Smith

www.SmithHomeInspection.com

“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.” A. Einstien

Originally Posted By: cmccann

I recommend not using it at all. To much maintenance and I will always find the rot.

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: Gino Conner

I agree with Chuck. There are too many better products out there to use.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Chuck and Gino took the words right out of my mouth. HardiPlank company makes just one such product. Its actually Hardi Panels and looks just like T1-11 panels, only cheaper, comes already primed and is three or more times more durable and will never ever rot, swell or have any insect problems. Its made from a cementous material so the normal problems with wood products is completely done away with. They also now make soffit material, corner trim, lapboards, even faux stucco panels. Just replaced a bunch of garbage that was original to my home with it.

Originally Posted By: tschwalbe

Go with the hardi plank cement board.

Originally Posted By: psisler

James,

There is a lot of good advice here. I am a Licensed Siding and Deck Contractor as well here in CA. Priming the back side of the siding is not necessary. Be sure to use the correct galvanized siding nails and not just 8p commons. T1-11 is getting quite expensive, up to 40.00 a sheet around here, the alternative as mentioned is a better one. I just finished a new garage for a friend with the new siding product for about half the price. If you stain this material you will continue to do so for years. A good exterior acrylic latex primer and paint will do the trick nicely. Ensure all gaps, if any are sealed before paint. You will enjoy the finished product for years to come.

Patrick M. Sisler

Originally Posted By: jsmith10

Hi James,

I’m an inspector in Idaho and I purchased my house in 2000 knowing it had t1-11 siding that had to be replaced.

The house was 22 years old and the paneling on the south and west sides were shot.

Our weather here gets extreme. 115 summer-0’s in the winters Dry humidity 20-30% and the stuff just can’t take the beating even with a good primer and paint.

The new housing going up around here (a-lot, California on the move)

are using a LOT of the hardy plank and a siding buddy of mine hates putting it up (heavy stuff) but he swears it the best thing for siding.

I know your in a wetter climate and you get some wacky weather too.

Just my 2cent's

--
Joe,
Vice-President, Idaho Chapter,
www.NachiIdaho.org

Inspected as though my family are to live or work there.

http://www.Treasurevalleyinspections.com