Take a look

Originally Posted By: Danny Castellano
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Ok, this was my first inspection, can you tell me what is wrong, this is a sub panel in a condo

![](upload://bukb1ffFAmTqnCHXzyhSeMN1Xyw.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: bking

what type of panel? “Zinsco or FPE looking panel”

No main C/B

misaligned C/B

Neut possibly bonded to gnd.

Gnd’s too close to power wires

Hot white wire

www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: Steve Costa

Looks like that can be 12 gauge wire going to that 15 amp breaker.

Originally Posted By: Tom Bijak

Steve,

There is nothing inherently wrong w/ #12 AWG going to a 15Amp breaker. Now a #14 to a 20Amp is another matter. Remember, you can always upsize the conductor which is in fact safer (provided the device or breaker you connect the wire to can handle the larger size conductor).

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

I am guessing the cocked breaker indicates there is a missing “blank out” in the cover from a missing one. Other than that I am not sure I see a problem.

Originally Posted By: pdickerson

This is a Zinsco Panel. This alone justifies an evaluation by a licensed electrian. I have seen (and recently posted in the photo library) photos of Zinsco panels that looked normal with the dead front cover removed, but when the cb’s were removed, there was significant arcing at the main bus where EACH cb made contact. When I see a Zinsco panel, I call for a sparky every time, and I make sure that my client knows that it is a serious concern.

Originally Posted By: dedwards

Second from the bottom 20 amp brkr looks like it is double tapped while the brkr below is empty but in the on position. There are a couple of other brkrs further up that look empty as well in the ON position. Not a biggie but why do some insist on putting in panel boxes with roofing nails. If you ever have to change out the box the next electrician has to come up with all kinds of new cuss words to get the job done.

Originally Posted By: jpope

pdickerson wrote:
This is a Zinsco Panel.

Leave it to a West Coast inspector to catch that one ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738