Tankless Water Heater Air

I need help from a plumber to explain why an apparent outlet was placed on the a one year old natural gas water heater by the builder.

Huh? What does this mean? I’m confused as to which picture has something you are questioning?

2 Likes

Because if it breathes ‘in’, it must exhaust ‘out’!

The last picture with the open cpvc line. I just put the other pictures there for reference.

Read the Rheem installation instructions.

1 Like

Is it a condensing water heater? Use that model number to look it up.

1 Like

The PVC exhaust exits through the roof. I have never saw something that looks like a condensation line on an AC opened on a tankless water heater.

You are correct. never saw one of these before.

Rheem RTGH-84DVLN-2 HE Natural Gas Condensing Tankless Water Heater

2 Likes

https://parts.rheem.com/product/RPD-694900

4 Likes

Thanks guys. Looks like that is a drain line.

1 Like

Is that a garage? If so that should be sealed. Even if not a garage it should be sealed.

5 Likes

It’s the condensation drain line. Air just to make sure it flows down, and also if the line gets clogged, condensation doesn’t back up into the WH.

5 Likes

Great explanation. Thank You!

I have also seen condensate lines on tankless units, but what is this?

The last picture with the open cpvc line
[/quote]

As stated above, and confirmed in the Manual I posted a link to above.

The open, vertical pipe section is likely a local requirement (AHJ) for all condensate drain pipes, as it’s not shown being required by the manufacturer in the manual.

It’s the condensate line for the condensing water heater. Different brands handle the condensate differently. Some want a trap, some go straight down, some have a tube coiled up at the exhaust pipe.

Looks like an air-gap for the condensation drain.

1 Like