I received word last night that the applications for license will be available on-line sometime Wed. 31st.
Thanks for posting Michael!
Was just looking for that info.
Just got out of my attic looking for my 35 year old HS Diploma! :-o
Found it! Hot in there! Even with good ventilation!
TN is getting warm! I was in a 135 degree attic Friday! Didn’t wast time there!~
So, now the question is, the law states we must have a licence 1 June, apps are being submitted 31 May, it says we have till Dec to get the supporting Docs. “When are we in violation of practicing without a licence”?
I think the law says July 1
That is true Michael, July first. According to the email I got, all of the applications received will be locked in their office until July 1 and then they will start issuing licenses.
I’m still trying to figure out how to comply with the law if they will not issue me a license until after the cutoff date.
If you look at the “Rules of Public Necessicity” page 6 ??? It says something about Dec 06 to get supporting docs in ???
I think they are as confused as we are. I am keeping copies of all of that just in case though.
Ms. Kennedy,
Can you give me an update as to when the application for the Tennessee
home inspection license will be available online?
Carol Kennedy
Administrative Director
Home Inspector Licensing Program
Department of Commerce and Insurance
500 James Robertson Pkwy., 2nd Floor
Nashville, TN 37243
615-253-1743(Telephone)
615-741-6470 (Fax)
Thank you Ben D. Kelly! 
http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Columns/Helter_Shelter/2006/06/01/License_to_Deal/index.shtml
Son of a gun. This is a good way to start.
Walter Jowers is a FAT, ASHI , HI that can’t fit in most crawl spaces!
Jean Harrison is sueing me for about blowing my face off from opening an Electrical Panel during a re-inspection that was reported to have been repaired.
I was prohibited from finishing my Inspectgion Services and Harrisons client never paid their bill.
Jowers and Harrison’s comment :
They listed that in the law suit also.
That is not in the Public Necessity Rules. Which is currently the law.
It was in the Rules proposed in Oct 12005.
The single reason I got introduced to Home Inspection 10 years ago was because of the “disservice” Walter Jowers (specificly) provided to Cients and Realtors.
I received a phone call one Sunday afternoon where Walter called with a cease and desist demand because he received one of my inspection reports (how did he get that? from a Realtor FRIEND of course!) and it sounded like his. He accused me of copyright violations by using a home inspection program produced by another. In fact, I was using Microsoft Word and a voice dictation program, and still do and have never used any home inspection reporting program on the market in the past 10 years.
I asked Walter specifically what portion of my report mirrored his and I would change it to make them happy. He refused to provide this information, just telling me to quit using my program altogether. Yeah, right!
Walter was a president of the Tennessee chapter of ASHI at the time and really made a good impression on me!
**“GRANDFATHERING REQUIREMENTS”
**The Tennessee Legislature passed an amendment (amendment #7) to
SB3416/HB3669, which revises and supercedes Chapter 65, Tennessee Home
Inspector License Act of 2005, Section 6 (b) “grandfathering”.
**http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/bills/currentga/Amend/HA1513.pdf
**As the Department of Commerce and Insurance, Division of Regulatory Boards,
anticipates that the Governor will sign this Bill into law within the next 30 to 40
days, we feel a responsibility to notify prospective applicants of the changes.
The following requirements to apply for licensure as a Tennessee Home
Inspector under the “grandfathering” clause become effective immediately upon
the governor’s signature:
For the first 180 days after July 1, 2006, the commissioner shall issue a license
to any applicant who:
(1) Is at least eighteen (18) years of age;
(2) Has not been convicted of a crime that has a direct bearing on the
applicant’s ability to perform competently and fully as a licensee;
(3) Is not the subject of a disciplinary or enforcement action by another
state or a local jurisdiction in connection with the performance of home
inspections or the licensing or certification of home inspectors;
(4) Has obtained a certificate of at least $500,000 general liability
insurance and errors and omissions to cover all activities contemplated
under Title 62, Chapter 6.
(5) Furnishes evidence satisfactory to the commissioner that the applicant
has been principally engaged in the performance of home inspections
in this state for **three or more years **and has completed at least 150
home inspections; and
(6) A judgment has not been entered against the applicant by a court of
competent jurisdiction if such judgment was based upon the applicant’s
negligent performance as a home inspector.
The applicant will be required to submit an application, along with the following
documents for consideration of licensure under “grandfathering”:
- A **nonrefundable
$300.00 application and initial licensure fee.
**This payment must be made by check, and made out to the
**Department of Commerce and Insurance.
**2. A copy of the certificate of insurance showing you are carrying Errors
and Omissions insurance and **at least **five hundred thousand dollars
($500,000) General Liability insurance. - **A legible listing of at least 150 home inspections you have
completed and received compensation for. This list will need to
include the full name of the client, address, zip code, and date of
inspection, and type of dwelling. **If you are unable to provide this
complete list of clients, you will be required to apply under Chapter 65,
Tennessee Home Inspector Act of 2005, Section 6(a).
**6/08/06
**
If you are submitting your TN Licence application with Towers & Perrin Insurance, contact T&P and get a certificate to send to the State of TN if they reject your coverage.
This is happening to several HI’s.
The wording “Professional Liability” is used and is confusing to those processing the licences.
I just spoke with Ms Kennedy on the phone. She called to straighten out an insurance issue with my application. She told me that they have already mailed out a lot of licenses. Unless you have already been notified of a problem, you should be getting yours in the next few days. 
Interesting post
http://www.nashvillescene.com/Stories/Columns/Helter_Shelter/2006/06/01/License_to_Deal/index.shtml
I have recieved confirmation that I am license number 00000015 . She also has said they only have about 100 applications thus far. They are sending out a batch today, tommorow, and some where sent out a couple of days ago. Finally, its over, other than the cont. ed, insurance renewals, fees, etc…
Congratulations Ben. I didn’t think to ask my license number when I talked to her. I want to put it on my new brochures. Wow…only 100. I thought there were more. 99 of those are probably my competitors.
I thought there would be that many in Nashville, and surrounding areas only. I may have one competitor to pony up. Other than that I know of no-one for at least 30 miles either way. Time will tell.