TESLA Solar Roof

Saw this in passing the other day. Thought I would share.

TESLA SOLAR ROOF

4 Likes

They have been talking about this product for years. I wonder how it holds up to hail strikes.

4 Likes

Tony, there are a few videos of “hail tests” on YouTube, as well as a ton of consumer review videos - coincidentally, I watched this One Year Review this morning.

4 Likes

With the kind of storms we’ve been known to get, time will tell for sure.

here in GA

Georgia gets first solar roadway in the US’%20solar%20installation%20will,annually%2C%20according%20to%20the%20city.

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder if this will improve the pothole situation.

Possibly. But likely to put a hole in our pockets instead. For 18 miles of this stuff, this is what we get. From the article:
will produce more than 1,300 kilowatt-hours of electricity annually, according to the city. That electricity will be used for a Level 2 electric-car charging station at city hall,

[quote=“bcawhern1, post:7, topic:196731”]
1,300 kilowatt-hours of electricity annually
[/quote]

My own house uses that much every month at least and more in the summer when the AC is running. LOL. Doesn’t seem like that road is going to pay for itself any time soon…

2 Likes

Baby steps! We have to test new technologies, figure out the flaws, and iterate to get the result really cool stuff.

Exactly, and only used for electric vehicle charging at City Hall. But gas tax pays for it. CRAZY.

3 Likes

That is what private business is for. I should not have to test anything. The company that produces this stuff is in France. If I were a city leader and they said 1300 kw annually, I would have sent them home to come back another day with a better product.

3 Likes

That is like $120 worth of electric power per year. $10 per month. Lunch money.

4 Likes

But, how much installed? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

In Colorado it would be at least $300 Million.

Might as well do all the interstates, then. :flushed:

1 Like

Exactly!!

It’s called Research and Development. New technologies take time to evolve and hopefully, eventually, become efficient.

If you go back just 10 years ago and look at where the solar tech was compared to where it is today, then imagine where it’ll be in the next 10 years, you can then understand the reason for R&D which will hopefully be responsible for the endless possibilities that solar will eventually be capable of delivering.

1 Like

so average Joe pays for it and the 1 in a thousand gets the benefits.

2 Likes