Test Before Touch

Hello there!!! I am new to the industry. Today would be my tenth paid inspection in Greeley Colorado. Probably the oldest house I have inspected so far. anyways this box was in the unattached garage. The dead front cover was missing. the screw was holding the lid shut on the service panel. I always test the box before i touch it. Especially the ones that look shady like this… everyone feel free to comment on this hoto.

What do you see in this photo???

A splice box. (And yes, required to be fastened closed with the screw).

Abandoned panel used as a junction box. No harm in test before touch but no real benefit either. Ungrounded contact to panel will short immediately.

Looks like they’re using the old feeder to feed everything as one circuit with the old panel enclosure as a splice box. I would be concerned with the size of the OCPD ahead of that old feeder and that it’s not greater than the smallest conductors in the splice box. Also a separate structure requires a disconnecting means even for one circuit. The wire nuts need to be listed for the number and size of the conductors they used in the splices as well as whatever is under those big balls of tape at the top.

It doesn’t look too bad. Just being used as a junction box. Those feeder wires look wire nutted and they’re feeding 4 or 5 circuits. Since it’s being used as a junction box, it really doesn’t need a dead front, but should be secured shut

It looks Like a sub panel/junction box. I see a black wire going to electrical bus could be a ground. And what appears to be a #8 connected to a #12? Not a good connection. Looks like my work when I do not have my glasses on.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I see a messed-up excuse for a handyman’s version of a sub-panel. It looks to me that the feeders at the top of the box are #4’s nutted to #12’s, and then the #12’s are further split into different runs ( nothing wrong with the #12 splices as long as the area being serviced stays under 750 sq ft) -
There should be an OCPD after the feeder and before the 12 ga. and there should be a means of disconnect in the separate building either before or in that “splice box”.
The short answer is “non - standard splices observed. Have a qualified electrician evaluate and repair.”

Not sure if a splice box needs to be anchored onto a board as opposed to this installation between two x 4’s. Also, I’d remove the combustibles.

This is the kind of work that AHJs regularly approve. I don’t see a red flag in your photo.