Texas Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Jay McKinnery
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am interested in becoming a home inspector in Texas. I have visited the TREC site and realize there is some commitment (time/money) involved. I would appreciate any guidance on which education route to take. If you would be willing to give me some advice, I would be willing to buy you lunch. I reside in the Southeast Houston area. Thank you for any help you may offer.

I realize this is a true profession, and not a job for someone who thought it looked like a good way to earn money from something they saw on HGTV or This Old House. I am dedicated to do whatever it takes to get my license in 2006.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Sounds like you have a good attitude. I’m sure someone down in TX will pipe in and help you out.

Good luck to you. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: pdacey

Jay,

The quickest way is to do the "fast track" education. Right now you need to complete 188 hours of approved courses to be eligible to take the exam. On Jan. 1 2005 the required hours increases to 448. If you complete the 188 hours before Jan. 1 and submit your paper work to TREC, you will be grandfathered. You don't have to take the test prior to Jan. 1, just have to submit your paperwork.

You can also do an apprenticeship, but you need to find an inspector who will sponsor you. Not easy. You would still be required to take 120 hours of course work along with doing supervised inspections. This takes longer but will give you the best practical experience.

If you are going to be a full time inspector from the start, don't plan on making a good living off of it for about 18 months. Even as an apprentice, the pay is usually pretty low. It can take 18-24 months of constant marketing to create enough relationships to keep you working steadily.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Jay, take Patrick’s advice and get signed up for your hours before they go up significantly Jan 1. I started my classes about this time last year and was done before Christmas on the fast track 188 hrs professional program.

What is your background? Are you working? If you provide some more specifics many of the other guys on this board can pipe in. I have learned an enormous amount about the industry reading this board in the last few months.

Have you checked out Leonard/Hawes, Champions, or HCC? I had inspectors in my classes at Leonard Hawes last year from Clear Lake and Pasadena. It is a ways from you near Westheimer and S. H. Tollway.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: jmurray

kmcmahon wrote:
Sounds like you have a good attitude. I'm sure someone down in TX will pipe in and help you out.

Good luck to you. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!