Thank you to all the NACHI members that use this board!!

Originally Posted By: Kevin McMahon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Today I passed the NHIE!!! I’m so elated it’s unreal!

Just wanted to say thanks to all the forum members for the wealth of information provided on this site. It really helped me study for the exam.

I didn’t go to a HI school, but just did it on my own.

Special thanks to Gerry Beaumant for taking the time to call me up, answer some questions I had about NACHI, and get me over here to see for myself. I’m a step closer to becoming a NACHI member…(just need the $$ to do so and it will be sooner than later)

Anyways, Thanks!

Kevin McMahon

--
ABC Home Inspection, LLC

Originally Posted By: rwills

Kevin, congratulations! I’ve been preparing for the test for weeks now, would you mind elaborating about how it was? for ex: really hard, not to hard etc. I heard there are a lot of questions that are geographically targeted and also a lot of code related ones! Thanks,BW

Bob Wills - MAB Chairman

BW Inspection Services

Warminster, Pa.

http://www.bwinspections.com

Originally Posted By: Kevin McMahon

Bob,

Thanks! Although I can’t be real specific with questions that were asked, I can tell you that I walked out of the room thinking I was on the bubble or had failed. When I got out, the lady said I’d gotten the highest score she’d seen on that test. Not sure if that’s saying much or not. The way the tests questions were asked, left alot to be desired, but once I calmed down a bit, the answers just sort of popped out at me (just made more sense than the rest of the answers available). The real freaky thing is you have to pick the best answer possible…so although there may be different slightly correct answers available, you have to choose the “BEST” one.

I thought it was difficult, but it’s supposed to be. It really makes you think! I studied for two solid months before taking it. Good luck to you and let me know how you do and what you thought!

ABC Home Inspection, LLC

Originally Posted By: dplummer

Congratulations Kevin! Keep up the good work! DOUG

Originally Posted By: Scott Patterson

rwills wrote:
Kevin, congratulations! I've been preparing for the test for weeks now, would you mind elaborating about how it was? for ex: really hard, not to hard etc. I heard there are a lot of questions that are geographically targeted and also a lot of code related ones! Thanks,BW

The NHIE is not hard if you know your stuff. Yes, you will need to know about H20 heat systems as well as Heat Pumps; High wind construction (Hurricane, Coast winds, etc); Basements and On grade slabs, etc.; Cold weather construction and Warm weather construction, etc.

So yes the NHIE does have regional type questions on it, but as a home inspector you need to know or be familiar with those type of items. You never know when you might come across something strange. I have found two boilers in Mississippi!

As for Code questions. I guess I need to ask what is your definition of a Code Question?

The NHIE has several safety questions on it that are related to building codes. Simply because Codes are for the safety of the public.

Is this a code question? In a sub panel the grounds and neutrals must be separated and the grounding bus bar must be bonded to _________.

A. Neutral line
B. Sub panel box
C. The cold water line
D. The GFCI line.

This is the type of question that you will see, it is not a code question in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Originally Posted By: tallen

Hi all,

When I took the Exam there were a lot of Q, that had nothing to do with my area. Study hard Study long. I did my homework and passed.,

There was a ? about star fittings on the exterior of the residence I had no clu but, they will give you many answers that are correct but, only one is most correct.MOST CORRECT

good luck,

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005