Thanks to NACHI Members

To those of you who think it is OK to list www.licensedhomeinspectorschool.com without having a “license” that is up to you.

I personally think this is misleading.

My company American Buildng Inspection and Training Company Inc. is Licensed.

Mr. Merrell’s school is NOT licensed by the department of education or the department of state. Merrell’s school is APPROVED by the DOE which is not the same as a license.

In terms of dollars you, yes any of you, could be approved by the DOS by sending in a check for $25 and they will consider you as an APPROVED school. In order to be licensed my school spent $4,000 and 15 months to obtain our license. If you have trouble understanding this please reply with your name and e-mail and I will make an effort to finally settle this question. It Mr. Merrell’s school has a license, would he please post it now.:twisted: :twisted:

Sounds good to me. Go get em Mr. MAHR. In essence what you are saying is that your school is approved by the same people that approve Community Colleges, Technical Schools, etc.

Congratulations.

Mr. Ferry:

If you would investigate, as a good attorney should, you would find that the Dept. of State does NOT issue licenses to Home Inspector Schools; the Department of Education is the issueing authouity.

Check this out!

Please also note the Mr. Merrill is careful in his writing to say he is “approved” and not licensed.

My complaint about his misleading NACHI members has to do with his web listing www.licensedhomeinspectorschool.com. As an attorney, if this is not misleading, in your opinion, please say so!

Mr Mahr;
Why don’t you just aquire what you need from the NY DOS for your school and be done with it. Or is it that you can’t get approved by the NY DOS and that’s why you keep doing what you are doing. Clean up your own house first before picking on others. Just my oppinion !!!
Regards Len

ARTICLE 101
PRIVATE TRADE AND CORRESPONDENCE SCHOOLS

1. Exempt schools. The following schools are exempted from the licensing requirement of this section: a. institutions authorized to confer degrees in this state;
    b. schools, other than correspondence schools, providing kindergarten, nursery, elementary or secondary education, except schools conducted for profit which provide instruction in English as a second language or preparation for high school equivalency examinations to out-of-school youth or adults;
    c. schools operated by governmental agencies or authorities;
    d. schools which engage exclusively in training of students with disabilities as defined in section forty-four hundred one of this chapter;
    e. schools conducted on a not-for-profit basis by firms or organizations for the training of their own employees only, provided that such instruction is offered at no charge to such employees, or by a fraternal society or benevolent order for its members or their immediate relatives only;
    f. schools which provide instruction in the following subjects only: religion, dancing, music, painting, drawing, sculpture, poetry, dramatic art, languages, reading comprehension, mathematics, recreation and athletics;
    g. schools in which the course of instruction is licensed, registered or approved under any other section of this chapter or by any other department or agency of the state;
    h. schools which provide instruction designed solely for giving flight training and/or related ground school instruction.
    i. schools in which instruction designed solely to prepare applicants for admission to professional licensing examinations administered by the department pursuant to title eight of this chapter, and applicants for examination for admission to the practice of law;
    j. schools which offer continuing education courses exclusively for individuals licensed by the department pursuant to title eight of this chapter and for individuals admitted to the practice of law;
    k. schools which provide instruction given exclusively to employees of a person or organization which has contracted with another person or organization to provide such instruction at no cost to the employees;
    l. conferences, trade shows, workshops, seminars, institutes or courses of study offered and sponsored either jointly or individually by recognized trade, business or professional organizations for the benefit of their membership; or those offered to the general public by individuals, firms or organizations which neither conduct such activities for a duration of more than five consecutive days nor more frequently than twice in any one calendar year;
    m. schools which provide instruction exclusively to persons employed full-time or part-time in the field in which instruction is being offered, where the instruction is provided to meet continuing education standards required for professional licensure as defined by law in this state;
    n. instruction offered at a total contract price of less than three hundred dollars; provided that the total contract for all courses to any enrolled student is less than three hundred dollars in any one calendar year. (n.b., expires and is repealed effective September 1, 2000).

Section G applies to the Approved courses that I offer. It also applies to everyone on the list of Approved Home Inspector School’s, that NYS, Dept. of State, Division of Licenseing Services has, and it also applied to over 100 schools that offer reale state training and appraisal training in NY State. This the State of NY, Dept. of State will confirm.

Individuals who attemd and complete my program will receive a certificate of completion that is recognized by the NYS, Dept. of State and those individuals will make application to obtain a License as a Home Inspector in NY State.

Mr. Mahr’s school is not the same as a community college that confers degrees in NY State. Trade schools do not offer degree programs. It has been approved as a trade school. This has been addressed multiple times over the past 6 months. It is my understanding NYS, Education Dept. does not have a Home Inspector School Licensing Division. They allow schools to apply as a Proprietory Trade School.

I own and operate many web sites. Is your complaint that I buy web site names? Are you suggesting that none of the approved schools which the State of NY, Dept. of State has approved for Home Inspectors are legal? Are you still stating in print that you are the only Licensed Home Inspection school in NY State. Talk about misleading. Are you on the NYS, Dept. of State approved list?

Bill,

What is your read or understanding of 101 2.i. I don’t have chapter 8 to look it up.

John B.

This is kinda pathetic. Half cheesy commercial, half adolecent cat fight. How about sorting this out somewhere else.

Adam, A Plus

As you see, I use the site:
www.approvedhomeinspectoreducation.com

Licensed, Approved, Certified…etc… yada yada yada…

Bottom Line:

Someone attending Mr. Merrell’s School will qualify for a New York License. Yes or No?

Someone attending Mr. Mahr’s School will qualify for a New York License. Yes or No?

Joe Hagarty:

The Answer is YES! (All I can speak for is my program) Provided the individual meets all the other regs of NY State License as well, (High School Diploma, 18 years old, no felony convictions, etc.)

Those individuals who attend my program and pass the exams will receive Certificates approved by the NYS, Dept. of State, Division of Licensing Services.

The individual must apply, pass the NY State exam and my classes are approved by NY State, Dept. of State for Licensing purposes!!!

Module 1 approval code is: P0011
Module 2 approval code is :P0012
Module 3 approval code is: P0013
Module 4 approval code is: P0014
Module 5 approval code is: P0015

NYS Dept. of State Licensed Home Inspection Page is: http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/homemain.htm

NYS Dept. of State Approved Schools list is:
http://www.dos.state.ny.us/lcns/homeinsp-qualschools.htm

Our school approval in Bohemia, NY expires 13/31/06 and must be renewed annually. We must use State Approved Instructors, approved by the NYS, Dept. of State, Division of Licensing Services. Our outlines (100+ pages of documentation and books) had to be approved by the NYS, Dept. of State. Our exams (200 questions with a cross reference guide to show the exam answers) were submitted and approved by NYS, Dept. of State.

Our Programs were Approved. Our Instructors were Approved. Our Location was Approved. Our Final Exams were Approved. Our Course Completion Certificates were Approved. We were issued approval codes for each course presented. We are required, within 15 days of each course completion to submit a list of students who pass to the NYS, Dept. of State, Division of Licensing Services as the legal entity for the NYS Home Inspectors Licensing Law.

my dad can whip your dad!

Bill
Please post date for the Hudson Valley Home Inspection Class, I have about 15 people waiting to take the class, ask American Building Inspection to attend to learn how to fill a class. ( He must be working out of a garage)
Pat Maietta
NYNACHI President

Mr. Mahr,

You and I are in possession of a letter from Ms Jodi DeLollo, of the DOS Bureau of Educational Standards. The letter (and I am paraphrasing) states quite clearly that, while your approval by the Department of Education may be valuable, it does not provide you the authorization your school needs to conduct training for the purpose of HI licensing (primary).

At some point, it may be, but as of the date of that correspondence, ABITCO was not approved. Have you submitted youtr course for approval yet, and made the necessary changes to the outline, as mandated by the DOS?

Perhaps you simply wish to operate as a trade school, which is perfectly fine (though not for education counting towards licensing). Or, perhaps you wish to operate as a continuing education provider, which is also fine.

I personally do not know what you are thinking. I do know, however, that there a handful of schools approved for the purpose of home inspector licensing by the State. The DOS is chartered with providing the approvals for schools, instructors, and courses for this specific purpose.

As the field is currently occupied, the DOE does not get involved in the licensing of HI schools. Furthermore, the letter we received from Ms. DeLollo also states that you were told this once before.

Finally, you need to stop the bashing. If your school was non-compliant as of the effective date of the licensing law, you need to cease and desist, until you are either approved by the DOS, or clearly state that your school is not approved for the purposes of licensure. As a NACHI member, you are bound by a Code of Ethics of being truthful as to your qualifications.

The burden of proof is not on NACHI to prove you are not complient. To the contrary, the burden of proof is on your and ABITCOs shoulders to prove you are compliant with the law. If the DOE indeed has the authority, then lobby the DOS to approve your school under the law.

One final note… you brought up a letter you received fromthe Deputy Secretary of State (NY) as to their position of “not licensing home inspection schools” . I challenged you on another occasion to publish the letter, on this message board, in its entirety, rather than a simply snippet. Please do so, or provide your verification of authorization and compliance. We have been around and around on this for the past few months. To date, you have offered no verification.

Please do so.

If your school has been qualified and approved, I apologize for the hassle. We need to see an approval by the DOS.