the buried bucket

good day america’s finest. I have been seeing a few of these and simply do not know what they are. appears to be a large plastic bucket buried in the ground. I assume this is a component of the sewer system so i made my appeal for answers in the plumbing section but ive certainly been wrong on occasion. Someone in the know please explain what it is, what it does…any other interesting things you would like to throw in. thanks

mike in record setting snow free MN

whatISthis.jpg

whatISthis.jpg

Is the home on a septic system? It looks like a septic tank riser…

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cp=24&gs_id=3l&xhr=t&q=septic+tank+riser&pq=septic+tank+riser+covers&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1333&bih=663&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=ExYHT8zKOKT40gHiuZiXAw

yes this home was lakeside and had a private septic system

larry after i replied then i saw your link and checked that out…thanks. so it appears that these are the new and improved version of access to the septic tank. old timers like me are still thinking that the tank opening is just a six inch pvc pipe with a cap on it. thanks for the link and input, i will examine these closely and see what i find.
mn mike