The Camera Exchange

I am curious. Of those of you who have bought cameras. Who here has bought a camera and then upgraded? If you have or are planning to what camera are you going to and why?

Hi OJ,

I purchased a B-Cam SD, took the Building Sciences class and immediately called Flir to return it and upgrade. I new I wanted better resolution and such and went with the ThermaCam B400 w/high temperature upgrade.

I have not been disappointed

And because I sat next to Larry in class, and I couldn’t get away with swiping his new camera, I upgraded to the same res. diff. camera.

I started out with the B-cam as level 1 and purchased the BX-340 before I took my level 11 training and If I decide to go level 111 I will upgrade again to the P series.

Larry,

I’m just curious…Why would you need a higher temperature (248 degrees F) than you previously had (212 degrees F)?

All house temperatures (including Electrical) will not exceed the 212 degrees F. anyways. Even if the Electrical maxed out your camera temperature settings, you’d obviously have an issue. The only component that would get hotter than that would be the boiler/furnace.

Most people who go with the higher temperature cameras are working around high tension wiring or mechanical equipment.

Someone, talk me into upgrading my B-2 and why?

I received the camera and upgrade as a package special and decided to go for it.

I may do more with the local utility companies and others where it will be needed.

BTW, my imager is capable of 350 C with the high temp option.

High temp options is needed for predictive maintenance use mostly.
The equipment it is used on may normally run above the 212 degree F limits of the camera.

The camera detector is not capable of wide spans without going into saturation, so there are levels bracketed for specific use (Ranges of temp).

If you are not doing quantitative scans, and need to do a high temp application, you can make a filter from a plastic lid (like the old coffee can lids) that will keep your camera from going into saturation by filtration of the emitted energy.

The letter “B” in your camera model indicates that your camera is set up for the temp range most likely found in Building applications.

I echo some of the same reasons for upgrading to a B360 from the entry level BCAM-SD.

Great.

I mentioned 248 degrees F., because that is the lens that that particular camera comes equipped with. I see you went with the upgraded version.

I haven’t found a reason to upgrade my camera as of yet. I’m loving my IR camera (and it’s findings) more every day as I utilize it.

I dug down deep and started with an EX320. Haven’t felt any compulsion to upgrade. Though I do wish I had a wide angle lens too.

To this day the EX320 is tough to beat for its price. It lacks some features (bells and whistles) that some of the newer cameras have. Its 320x240 and a thermal sensitivity of .08C is tough to beat for the cost. Not to mention you can use it for higher temp applications if they arise.

I had a customer ask, the other day, to upgrade his EX320. I told him to stick with it unless he wanted something like this http://www.aikencolon.com/Electrophysics-Infrared-Cameras_c_1119.html

For anyone that has a 320x240 camera that is doing the job now for them I would wait until the 640x480’s come down in price. Plus .05C (50mk) sensitivity is already on a few units for under 20k, the Fluke TiR4 is 15.5k right now, and those will be coming down as well.

Personally I would keep my 320x240 and spend the money on advertising / potential customer education on IR.

Jason Kaylor – JJ
VP of Sales
877/207-1244
AC Tool Supply](http://www.aikencolon.com/)
Fluke Thermal Imagers](http://www.aikencolon.com/Fluke-IR-Thermal-Imagers_c_578.html)
FLIR Thermal Imagers
Fluke TiR1 Resources
FLIR B60 Resources](http://www.flir-b60.com/)
Retrotec Duct & Blower Door](http://www.aikencolon.com/Retrotec-Air-Blower-Door-Duct-Systems_c_1074.html)

It’s good to see more and better options coming on the market for quality imagers. Increased competition should help a lot with driving pricing down.

When they get $75 for a plastic replacement lens cap and $55 for a wrist strap, you know that they are working with some pretty generous margins:roll:.

Of course the downside is that having IR will be less of a differentiator for those who already have and market them.

Even though the B200, B250, and even the B360 may not have the sensitivity specification of the FLUKE camera but in ergonomics, ease of use, weight, durability, size, and options these camera again beat the FLUKE hands down. The FLUKE cameras can only use a specific brand of cards, the batteries don’t last what the specification sheet says because in the manual it gives a warning that you can only get the specified battery life with 50% screen brightness. Plus just in the file size itself you can use up a lot of memory space. Again I would warn against anyone buying a FLUKE camera to save just a few hundred dollars. You will gain back that money in time saved onsite and afterwards reporting with a FLIR camera.

OJ Utter
Level 3 itc Thermographer

OJ -

Thanks for telling us our Flukes ONLY take a certain brand of memory cards. I didn’t know that. Since I have 3 different cards FOR my Fluke - AND use them all - How will I know which KINDS don’t work.

Dan-
Not sure what camera you have but I was referring to to page 2-13 of the Flexcam manual where it says.
Note
The card must be inserted into the camera to save and store images.
Use only SanDisk-brand CompactFlash memory cards with a 2003 or
newer copyright date. Do not use other memory card brands.

This may not be applicable to the newer cameras like the TiR1 which uses the SD card.

Godspeed!
OJ Utter
Level 3 itc Thermographer